My New Obsession: Stores With Double Shopping Carts

by farrah on March 15, 2012 · 15 comments

So I really and truly think that I have lost all of my former ‘cool’ if it ever really existed at all. I now have this thing (a serious thing I might add) for stores with double shopping carts. As per my post regarding my stay at home mom workout– I explained how lugging the 35lb stroller in and out can get old pretty darn fast.  I pretty much freaked out last weekend when I was at Kohls. I hadn’t been there in forever and to my dismay (amazingly) I only had one kid with me to use the super-awesome-incredibly-cool double cart.

But not just any double cart. It was a front to back, LONG double cart so that it could fit down those tight little aisles that are difficult to navigate even with no cart. I kind of thought of it as a cattle prod thing like they have on the front of trains. That thing would blaze my trail.

But seriously- I was pretty excited. I realized that if I had to get out on a rainy day I could go to Kohls. Sure B would run wild like a banshee, but I could have L and C in a cart (not side by side to fight) while I perused the sheets and home goods for the ten billionth time to fulfill my sheet set addiction. In my mind..I can go here!

Home Depot's Magical Cart

Target’s double cart is a little advanced for my 17th month olds still. Costco has a double, but it’s a pain to get there and chances are I’m going to spend way more than I wanted on a three month supply of something we didn’t really need. The grocery store has the double race car- which is ok. But the grocery shopping is kind of like my pathetic escape every week- so I don’t really want to take the clan along with me…But- we did discover the fun bright orange Home Depot cart on Saturday, and we were all pretty thrilled with that one.

So, I’m still left with a heathen 3 year old to wrangle, but I know his time in a stroller/cart passed us by a long time ago. At least this way if I threaten to leave him due to a tantrum he might think twice realizing I still have his brothers. Oh well. A mother can dream.

Do you have a shopping escape with your multiple kids? Do you find that you’ll shop at certain stores because of the carts they have for your children?

1 Danielle March 15, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Shopping with one can be an adventure. I give you a lot of credit!

2 farrah March 16, 2012 at 12:21 am

I think any shopping plus a kid is an adventure. Long gone are the days of leisurely shopping!

3 Kristin March 15, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Finding the car carts at our grocery store SAVED my sanity for a while. The new Home Depot carts are pretty cool, too.

4 farrah March 16, 2012 at 12:22 am

Go speed racer! Go! They’re awesome. I feel like I have been stuck in the house for so long…. and now that they can sit up and just get buckled in I am overjoyed. Of course this too is brief and I will end up hiding at the house once they’re 3 and 4.

5 greta March 16, 2012 at 1:41 am

I have a thing for double strollers, too. i only get out about once a week to get groceries, so with a aingle cart and two kids, i run out of room really fast, and there are some *pretty* cool ones these days.

6 farrah March 16, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I love our double, really I do. It can even be a triple with the attached seat- but it’s so dang heavy. It’s a serious workout. I need a good, cheap double umbrella. Any thoughts?

7 Jessica March 16, 2012 at 4:11 am

I have 2 boys (8 & 5) & am 30 weeks pregnant with twins so I’ve already been scoping out the stores with double carts (they were a lifesaver even with the boys 3 years apart). Even told my DH last week that I’ll only be shopping at the stores (speaking mostly of groceries here) that offer double carts..ha!

8 farrah March 16, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Go you! I hope your older two are super helpers!! Are you having more boys?!?!? Congrats!!! And if I had a store, I would have a cart just for you 🙂

9 Jessica March 16, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Identical girls this time 🙂

10 farrah March 17, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Haha! Aren’t you in store for a change- congrats and good luck 🙂

11 Leigh Ann March 16, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I had to take all 3 to the grocery store yesterday and could find none of their 3 kid cards (a bench that seats 2 attached to a cart that could seat the toddler). I had to put the twins in the car cart and poor baby Zoe had to sit in the actual cart and get all the groceries piled on top of her. 🙂

12 farrah March 17, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Oh that’s funny. I’m guessing though she was a good sport about it though, right?!?

13 Kelly Hill May 2, 2015 at 7:01 pm

I am a mother of a 2 year old and twin 1 year olds and I’m blown away by how many stores do not have carts that hold more than 1 kid and i need 3! The only place i can go with all 3 kids by myself is Target.

14 Annie November 7, 2015 at 6:08 am

I have a 16 month old and an almost 3 year old, and I thought I must be the only one who would Google”what stores have carts with two seats?”. I came across this blog and I’m glad that I’m not alone!

Unfortunately, none of the stores near me (including a smaller Target) have carts with at least two seats. Haggens supermarket had the cool race car ones, but they’re too expensive to shop at (plus I think they are closing down stores here in LA).