Three Winners & One Big, Huge, Fat LOSER

by farrah on March 16, 2012 · 20 comments

I had quite the array of customer service experiences this week so thought I’d share them. I like to tell people when I have kick ass experiences as well as, well. You know. Not so kick ass.

Let’s start with the good since I am MUCH more excited about those.

First up, my dinner tonight compliments of Firehouse Subs. I love Firehouse. If you don’t have one in your area, you are sorrily missing out. I get the same thing every single time I go because I just love it to bits (the Italian) and don’t want to try anything else.

They are opening a brand new store in my little town tomorrow so tonight offered VIP coupons on their Facebook page. It was one coupon per person, so I printed out enough for all of us and we each had a sub, side and drink. Thanks Firehouse!

Second on my win list is Klout and their most recent perk from gud (a Burts Bees company).Can I just say that for as

The perk box from gud!

seemingly crazy the Klout rating system is at times (I have not studied their algorithm, nor do I care to- but then again I cannot complain) I have truly scored with some amazing perks. This go round was a delightfully packaged gift set of three new products that gud is promoting. In my fancy box I received a full size of a Vanilla Flame Body Mist, Floral Cherrynova Body Lotion, and an Orange Petalooza Body Wash. All products are natural without parabens, phthalates or petrochemicals. And you know coming from our good friends at Burts Bees they’ve got a good name behind them.

I love everything about the items in this box. Including the redic informative packet that was put together with obvious care and packed with coupons for me to share. Wanna win business? Treat customers like this and you’ve got them. I will be going out of my way to find, recommend and tout gud products when I can. I hope this line does great, they deserve it! –Check out their facebook page- they are still offering samples and coupons!

And my last win of the day is FuzziBunz. I finally got around to asking them if my diaper with snaps that broke off was covered by their warranty. I sort of half assed filled out their form (because I didn’t really believe it would qualify) and not only did they tell me that hello! The snaps now have a lifetime warranty-send a photo and they’d send a replacement. Oh sure. Ok, whatever you say.  Maybe it would arrive when everyone was potty trained. I sent that in two days ago. Well what do you think showed up in the mail today? Sure did. And they not only sent me a brand spanken’ (no pun intended) new diaper, but included a liner as well. How’s THAT for rocking customer service?????

So now it’s time for the big. fat. loser. Let’s say the LOSER of the past month, shall we? Maybe longer. All I know is right now my husband is at the Apple store dealing with them (again) because if I have to go up there one more time I am going to FLIP out. I already did, actually- last week. Stormed out to be more accurate- but it was well deserved. I had the circus in tow- was treated like an ignorant moron, and still the issue persisted. After running back and forth to their shop and Verizon, we learned tonight after the umpteenth crash of my phone that the ‘genius’ at the Genius Bar swapped me out a Sprint iPhone (not my carrier) instead of a Verizon iPhone (my carrier) way back when this trouble started. So now after several trips we HOPE they FIXED IT and I am not in a situation as a mother of three stuck in the house without a way to call 911 any longer.

If the freaking phone wasn’t so easy for me to use I would kick it to the curb in a heartbeat. SO UNIMPRESED with the service we have received at the Haywood Road Mall Apple Store I want to scream. Thanks for the condescending attitude folks. If you would have taken an extra second to double check what you were doing I wouldn’t be sitting here wasting my time ranting about YOU who I know could care less. Ugh.

So…that’s it for today. Anyone have any other customer service wins or fails they’d like to share? I’d love to hear them!!!

These are my opinions. No one compensated me for any of them (are you kidding?!) or told me what to say. See Klout for full information on how to access their perks program and you too can get some free stuff.

1 Brianne March 16, 2012 at 12:55 pm

It seems rarer and less likely to get excellent customer service these days. When i do, I spread the word, and if possible if it’s a particular person, I tell their supervisor what an awesome job they did.

As a rant, I despise Comcast. I called to dispute a charge once and the girl hung up on me. I was so mad, I called right back and asked for a manager and told her what happend. Then the original girl called me BACK and left me a nasty voicemail about the complaint I made on her! Talk about ballsy…

I learned a long time ago that when dealing with anything good or bad it’s a good idea to get the person’s name so you can either turn them in or praise them. Or at least have a log of who you worked with if an issue persists.

2 farrah March 16, 2012 at 2:09 pm

We had to deal with Comcast in Michigan. Now we have Charter. Not much better. Seriously, where is a perfect cable provider??!! And that’s a great tip- get the name. All I remember about the two Apple employees was one looked evil and the other resembled the comic book sales guy from The Simpsons.

3 Brianne March 16, 2012 at 6:02 pm

FIOS! If that have it in your area, I’ve dealt with nothing but awesomeness!

4 Shannon rhoads March 16, 2012 at 1:03 pm

We have a firehouse in my hood but I have never been! I may have to check it out this weekend. I can’t even think of the frustration with your phone. Kudos to the person who actually figured it out!

I don’t even know where to begin with AT&T. My phone lines just went down about 20 minutes ago. Again. For the sixth time in the last year. I think I am going to give up and skype!

5 farrah March 16, 2012 at 2:10 pm

GO there. Well, maybe not. They’re addicting and I could eat a sub three times a week!

And your AT&T struggles are indeed epic failures.

6 greta March 16, 2012 at 1:16 pm

i always freak out when my cell phone is on the fritz, because we dont have a landline either. but whos going to pay another 30 bucks a month for something you dont use? This last time it happened, i thought about storing an old corded phone near the plug in, because can’t you always dial 911, even without phone service?

I HATE condescending people. It seems like Apple has such power to do whatever they want. Ugh.

BUT, yay for the good ones! I love getting klout perks!

7 farrah March 16, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Yeah! Did you get this Klout one?

That is my biggest concern when the phone would crash. Super scary stuff.

8 Stephanie March 16, 2012 at 2:05 pm

That Gud stuff looks adorable! And we should be fighting for excellent service all the time. Just my opinion.

9 farrah March 16, 2012 at 2:12 pm

And it’s a completely valid opinion at that. I agree. You’d think in times like these where jobs are hard to find and keep people would take more pride in them. When I worked in customer service (restaurants/retail/office) I got a thrill out of doing a good job or helping someone. I don’t know what seems to have happened to that ideal.

10 Michelle P March 16, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I am quite possibly the most obviously irritated person in the world when customer service is less than, well, customer-oriented service. My personal favorite is one of my local Starbucks locations that used to be kick ass. These days they’d rather sit around and chat with each other than get me my freakin’ half caff (quite possibly the easiest drink they sell). I am on a schedule in the morning, people! I don’t have time to listen to how you were so wasted last night! And posting on Starbucks’ wall or tweeting at them does nothing. I love Starbucks more than I love my best handbag, but I am considering a break up.

11 farrah March 17, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Seriously??? Where else would you go!!??? I’ve only been into my ‘bucks once and the staff was absolutely obnoxious singing some awful top 40 song. Or maybe I’m just getting old and crotchety?

12 Lady Estrogen March 16, 2012 at 5:56 pm

I have taken advantage of my Klout perk once – it was fun! I just don’t have any more effort for it.

And I must be a traitor to my profession because I’m probably the only graphic designer that HATES Apple. All the programs are the friggin’ same. I don’t see the draw other than their mind-melting marketing. Barf. lol

13 farrah March 17, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I feel too inept for Apple. But their behavior at the store was just uncalled for.

14 C @ Kid Things March 16, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Speaking as someone who has worked in customer service pretty much all my life, I like it when I heard good stories instead of the bad. It’s a tough gig. Though I understand the frustrations, too, especially when you feel like you’re being talked over and not being heard.

15 farrah March 17, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Me too- I’ve been in restaurants, retail and office settings and we never heard the good. Apple is so huge I know they care less, but it was really nice of Firehouse to thank me for my tweet. I love companies that do that 🙂 Feel free to share any good experiences here any time!

16 Leigh Ann March 16, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Oh man! I usually get pretty good service at our Apple store, but recently my iTunes account was hacked. It was such an inconvenience to report (even though they emailed me to let me know that purchases had been made by a computer that was not my own), and then they emailed me to let me know that they refunded the money as “an exception,” because all app sales are final. WTF?

17 farrah March 17, 2012 at 1:12 pm

hahha! Oh the irony.

18 KerryB March 16, 2012 at 11:25 pm

I boycotted Babies-r-us after my baby shower. I had a ton of stuff to exchange and return and as you know not everyone includes gift receipts but amazingly I received so many multiples and not stuff that I needed duplicates of.
Anyway we had about 7-$800 dollars worth of stuff to purchase and being 8 months pregnant with twins I just wanted to get it over with. Anyway they returned everything with a receipt, as they should. They gave me store credit for anything that I registered for but they would not do anything about items without a receipt OR if it wasn’t on my registry EVEN THOUGH THE GIRL AND THE MANGER BOTH knew they were their products based on the sticker and bar code. THEY REFUSED TO RETURN ANYTHING! I was so pissed.
We took what we could and left.
Then my husband said we need to go back because there is just stuff we need that no one else in this area carry’s. I was too tired to go in on a Sat so we went on Sun with an expired coupon. It was for 20% and they wouldn’t honor it even after I explained how much we needed to purchase and they were willing to let 800 bucks walk out the door. I’m not cheap but with twins on the way I was starting to count pennies. Bed Bath and Beyond will take expired coupons as will so many other places esp if it is just a day late AND I’m about to drop almost a grand!
BYE BYE babies-r-us, I’ve hated you since!

19 farrah March 17, 2012 at 1:14 pm

OMG I do NOT blame you. I hate our BRU. It’s dirty and the staff is useless. I will never forget our first experience at Buy Buy Baby. I was concerned one of the twins had reflux and somehow this woman (who had no children) insisted that it was because of how I wasn’t feeding him properly and then told me what to give him instead (without being asked). Gee, thanks woman with no kids who works here part time and basically insulted my parenting.

20 KerryB March 18, 2012 at 4:15 pm

hahaha ! LOVE IT! I have a list (small) of people in my life who I can’t wait until they have kids so I can quietly laugh with my husband about how insane being a parent is yet somehow they know exactly how to do it kidless. Oh the sweet reward! haha