My Shockoversary: The Day of ‘Surprise! You’re Having Twins!’

by farrah on April 5, 2012 · 18 comments

I don’t celebrate my ‘Blogoversary’. Instead- April 5th, 2010 is more significant to me because it was the day that everything changed. I know that having your first child is when things change-and it was. But this was REALLY, REALLY changing. Like holy heck what will we do-changing.

I was unfazed that this ultrasound was about two weeks late. I was a pro. I had been there and done that once already. I tried to be zen and relaxed and go with the flow-ish. I was going to show everyone in my ob’s office that I was cooler now. I wasn’t going to faint with every blood test. My reputation for the dramatics and theatrics wasn’t going to precede me for every appointment. I was going to be low key and forgettable this pregnancy. I was going to start that ‘new me’ with the first ultrasound, in fact.

When we arrived I was calm. I said my hellos to the receptionists. Oh yes, I was back! Haha- this time I wasn’t going to be such a pain. Haha no- I wasn’t going to prep every nurse before every poke or prick and tell them how I was going to have to lie down during and be allowed to stay in the dark room an additional 15 minutes afterwards with a cool rag to ‘recover’. Oh no. I was used to needles now. That girl who needed a Valium to get her preconception blood screening done and chickened out in the parking lot? Oh she was long gone. I was a veteran- after having my first, one, and only child via a c- section. Yep. I was going to be nondescript.

I always loved the idea that the drama of us humans is owed to the Greek gods and goddesses up there on Mt. Olympus screwing with us [me] for their own entertainment. I loved this idea- but April 5th 2010 made it seem like it really was happening. That they were all up there about to play a big old joke on yours truly. Imagine you’re told you’re having twins when you have a one year old in your arms.

I mean, omg, right?

I remember being in the room with the tech, my husband and a very squirmy B. I remember getting on the table and her explaining the procedure. I assured her that I knew since I was an ‘expert’ after having done this before and we just wanted to make sure everything was a-ok.

I remember lying there- in that precarious position- looking at my toddler- and just saying a quick prayer that this baby would be ok. We had been so lucky with him and getting pregnant with ease. Here we were again- could lightening strike twice?  As he started to fuss, I grew impatient and it seemed like it was taking her too long to just tell me everything was ok. I tried to joke with her and said- ‘I just want you to tell me everything’s alright. And that there’s only one of them in there, ok?’ heh.

She looked at me, then back at the screen- and in that split second I was sure that something was wrong. I felt about a millisecond of relief when she simply turned the screen over to me and said ‘Well-everything looks ok- ARE YOU READY? It’s twins!‘. At first I didn’t think I heard her correctly. I heard that everything was ok- BUT, um, what was that second part she said again?!  My husband just started laughing and saying ‘No way!’ over and over and over. I  kept looking at the screen in disbelief and said- ‘Wait- wait! What’s the date! Isn’t it April 1st? Isn’t it? ISN’T IT????!!!!’

No. No, it was not April 1st. This was not a joke. I began to cry. I couldn’t breathe. I wanted to punch my husband who was still saying ‘No way!’ over there. I said ‘Oh my god what are we going to do’ about a million times. You see, we live about 12 hours from our families and had really just a a few friends locally. We were jumping from one kid to three kids in the blink of an eye. I couldn’t believe it. On top of all this a little bit of terror started to creep in as well considering I had a scary flirtation with preeclampsia with my son- was in the hospital and on bed rest the final two weeks of my pregnancy. I was sure that a twin pregnancy was going to be a health hazard for me (I turned out to be correct) and freaked out. I started to hyperventilate. People were asking me if I was ok. There went my plan to be the nondescript patient. My tech left and went to get a doctor- too late. Everyone was gone for the day. We’d have to come back and see about our referral to the multiples/high risk doc. My world went topsy-turvy and inside out.  I would never be able to do it. There was no freaking way.

Well..way. Here we are today with the dudes at 17 1/2 months old and we’re still alive. A little worse for wear- but we’ve made it so far. What kind of surprise was this?! Greek gods be damned. I will always consider April 5th 2010 the day that changed my life completely- for someone who doesn’t like surprises, well- I liked that one.

I started blogging on Blogger and you can see my first post here.

If you’re a mom of multiples, how did you find out? What was your ultrasound day like? I’d love to hear about it!

1 Lady Estrogen April 5, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Hahaha. Totally freaked out – but I didn’t already have one.
April 1st joke, indeeeeeeed. So close.

2 farrah April 5, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I was so scared. And sure she was joking-I will never forget that feeling!

3 Jae April 5, 2012 at 12:23 pm

omg! I love this!!

I don’t remember my “reveal” date, however hubby was carrying our baby, in her car seat, cuz she was 3 month old!!! LOL! I cried, I vomited, I considered driving my Explorer off a cliff… 9 1/2 years later, I’m still here and my children are reasonably well adjusted. ;)

4 farrah April 5, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Oh wow- yeah 3 mos!!!!! I wanted to vomit. Wasn’t that just the most bizarre experience ever?? Go ‘Irish Trips!’ lol. Glad you’ve made it :)

5 wendy @ mama one to three April 5, 2012 at 12:34 pm

awww. seriously I almost passed out. molly was with us — she had just turned ONE that week! lol. My amazing OB in his French accent said, “well you are definitely pregnant. I see two sacs.”
the second ultrasound was really significant for me–the two heartbeats were still there. I cried. It is special being a mom of multiples. And scary. :)

6 farrah April 5, 2012 at 2:06 pm

It is! I went through so many emotions. And now here you are a completely amazing mom in your own right. Congrats to us I say! Maybe I would have handled it a bit better if there was a French accent involved :)

7 Brianne April 5, 2012 at 12:37 pm

you mulitples moms are my heroes! Thanks for sharing! I’ve been waiting! :)

8 farrah April 5, 2012 at 2:07 pm

You never know Bri. You might just be preparing yourself too :)

9 Brianne April 5, 2012 at 7:38 pm

you shut your dirty mouth or we may cease being friends!

10 Shannon April 5, 2012 at 1:49 pm

The doc said there were two heartbeats, but that one was weak and not expected to make it. It was surreal. The doc also kept asking me if I was ok and asking my husband if he needed to sit down. I am happy to report that both boys are happy and mostly healthy and will turn three in June! Yea twins!

11 farrah April 5, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Surreal-absolutely. And how scary to be told that news- I’m so glad your duo is 3 soon- yay for birthday parties, right? lol

12 Shannon April 5, 2012 at 4:47 pm

My response was simple…”holy crap!”

13 farrah April 6, 2012 at 2:48 am

But yet it sums it all up so well :)

14 Leigh Ann April 5, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Oh yes. I almost fell out of the stirrups.

15 farrah April 6, 2012 at 2:49 am

I can imagine that. You had stirrups? I feel cheated!

16 April G April 6, 2012 at 12:21 am

That sounds suspiciously like my first appointment, though my then 20 month old wasn’t with us. I was so looking forward to this second pregnancy being a breeze because I was an old pro and knew what to expect. Everything would be easier, smoother, less intimidating. Hahaha! My midwife was really quiet too, and I got nervous because I had two friends have miscarriages the year before, so I just wanted her to tell me everything was all right. She said, “I think there’s an echo” and got out the trans-vaginal ultrasound wand, and after a minute she turned the screen a bit more toward me and said, “There’s a healthy baby… and there’s another baby!” I said, “Are you shitting me?!” and burst into tears. I think I cried on and off for about 3 days straight, I was so scared and in shock. :P

17 farrah April 6, 2012 at 2:50 am

Hahah! I love it! Who were we kidding?! I mean, I am sure my overconfidence was completely at fault for this crazy day. I cried too- oh boy did I ever! Thank you for sharing- it’s nice to know I wasn’t alone in the ‘holy shit’ category :)

18 Erin April 19, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I just started uncontrollably laughing. I think I laughed the whole day. When I stopped laughing I started freaking out and thinking ” I need a bigger house, I need a bigger car, I need this, I need that……breath…….it’s going to be ok :)”