Guest Post- Bri from Don’t Forget The Small Stuff

by farrah on June 26, 2012 · 6 comments

Bri is someone I met on Twitter and feel like I’ve known her forever. She’s able to talk to anyone- and everyone- and I love it when she jumps into a conversation. She has one daughter and has completely been slacking on her own blog updates- so I did the world a favor and gave her a jump start by asking her to guest post for me while I’m gone. Lucky for me, she said yes!

Well it’s officially summer. Every year I look forward to our beach vacation. I’m very lucky; my parents live in Hilton Head, SC so visiting the beach happens at least yearly for us, if not more.  But this year marks the first time for a “Family Vacation”.  You know where all the grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins get together in a big house at the beach for a week together.  This is what we have to look forward to the third week of July. And I cannot wait even though I’m slightly terrified.  Here’s why.

Previously only I have taken Bugs to visit my parents.  Hubs has yet to see her sink her piggies in the sand, and after last year, well I couldn’t wait for him to experience it. Let me set the stage for you shall I??

My aunt, cousin, and I fly with Bugs to visit my parents last Fourth of July.  It’s her first flight, first major trip, and first, well lots of firsts. She was 5 months old.  We lube that baby up with sunscreen within an inch of her life and walk down to the beach. It’s a beautiful day, the sun is shining, the waves are lapping at the shore, it just couldn’t get any better. I slowly put Bugs’ feet into the surf and brace her standing. I hold my breath as the cameras roll video and pictures are snapped. She gives a tiny shiver and then…GIGGLES! The best baby giggles you have ever heard!! She LOVES it. Every time a wave touches her tiny feet she laughs with glee! “This is great!” I think to myself, next year’s family beach trip will be awesome!

Fast forward to Memorial Day weekend this year.  Again we fly for a short trip to see the grandparents.  First day there, we walk to the beach.  Bugs takes off towards the water while dragging me behind her. She lets go in anticipation of the waves and SPLAT!  Baby face plant in the sand.  She slowly picks herself up, and begins to look at the remains left behind on her hands and knees.  The rest can only be described as what would resemble an awful horror movie actress in a scene where she falls into a dead body and realizes that she’s covered in blood.  Yeah, that.  Bugs begins to scream and cry and tries in vain to remove the offending sand from her hands and feet.  She wants absolutely nothing to do with the surf or water which she previously adored.  We try in vain to get her to see the greatness of the ocean, but every time she lets go of our hands, she’s running at full sprint back towards the pool.  And finally I admit defeat.  We spend the next hour in the baby pool. Fun right? RIGHT?! Uh, no thank you!

So how is it that in less than one years’ time, my sweet beach bum has become terrified of the beach? And more importantly, what the hell am I going to do for a week when there is nothing but sand and water around?? I’m hoping with all the people around, the distractions will help get her to ignore the fact that those tiny grains are sticking to every surface of her little body, but if not, what are some other things we can do at the beach?? Help a first time beach-going momma out here! I need all the tips and tricks you got!

Thanks Bri! And, uh- oh man. I don’t know. I keep trying to get my boys to STOP EATING the sand…hopefully my readers have some tips for you!

Connect: Connect with Bri on Twitter and at Don’t Forget The Small Stuff!

1 Brianne June 26, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Thanks for having me! AND a bigger thanks for kicking my blog’s butt!!

Seriously people – we need your beach tips!! HELP! 🙂

2 Solon June 26, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I understand it’s not unusual for a toddler to be afraid of the beach. It’s not like a bathtub with sides so it can be pretty overwhelming. My 20 month old daughter loves the beach, but she started taking Infant Aquatics when she was around 6 months old. I think it had a lot to do with her love of the water. My Twins are 4 months old and I plan to start them in Infant Aquatics in August. You might want to check out your local Infant Aquatics locations. The instructors are accustomed to all kinds of toddler water apprehensions and have a lot of experience dealing with it. But the most important things is, don’t push. Let them adjust at their own pace. Good luck!

3 sara June 26, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I think it’s all about baby steps in these types of situations. Maybe hang by the pool the first day and then slowly venture out as the week goes on. The first day you venture to the beach maybe you can bring out a blanket to sit on, snacks and a bunch of toys and things to keep her occupied. Stay on the blanket and try to get her to play a little more in the sand each time you are out there. It may help to have her wear shoes in the beginning too – crocs are great for the beach! Be sure to get your beach time in during nap time – that way you don’t feel total beach envy if you aren’t able to get out there with her! Good luck! I know it can be daunting!!

4 kerryb June 26, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Uh-oh Bri! That stinks. I live at the beach so my girls are pretty accustomed but I have experiences with friends who visit etc. First carry baby powder because it removes sand without water. It’s a sand removal miracle remover! (sorry if you already knew that).Like Solon I did get my kids used to the water VERY young. I didn’t take them for instructions I just did it myself by going to the YMCA often in the winter. BUT pool water is very different than the crashing ocean waves. Let her know the sand comes off easily. Show her sand castles and the fun things to do with sand. Stay back until she wants to wander near the ocean. It’s kinda good that she is fearful because holding kids hands that loves the waves is a major workout. Lay out blankets for her to play on until she gets used to the sand again. It sounds like she doesn’t like the sand more than anything so I would just show her how many neat things you can build with it, dig holes, build castles and then show her how easy it comes off with the baby powder. I can’t wait to hear how it goes! Eventually she will enjoy it again it’s just something so unique. Maybe get her a sandbox to play in and tell her about the beach and how she will have more sand than she can imagine to play with for an entire week!

5 Brianne June 26, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Thanks everyone! We have done the baby swim class and she loves the pool so I have a feeling we will be there alot. But good ideas on the blankets! I had toys but she was so scared
She wasn’t interested. And now I will be on a hunt for crocs and baby powder!!

6 kerryb June 26, 2012 at 11:09 pm

I hate water shoes but they help also since they don’t fall off. the sand can burn their little feetsies. ouch!