Please Welcome… Marian from Just Keep Swimming (guest post)

by farrah on September 19, 2012 · 20 comments

I bumped into Marian through Ninja Mom’s Character Assassination Carousel several months back.  She’s funny and kind and has an awesome blog where she gets nominated for cool bloggy awards all the time. I was so honored that she was willing to guest post for me this week- and when we talked about what kind of topic she would like she mentioned that she had a twin! Would that work? Ummm…. Yes.  So a big welcome to Marian from Swimmng With Three, thank you for stopping by!

I was excited when Farrah invited me to write a guest post for her.  I hope she has a restful few days to take care of herself.

Because she’s a mom of twins, I enlisted my twin sister for some help with this post.  Just so you know, Maggie and I are fraternal twins born two minutes apart.  I was born first.  Although we absolutely love each other, you have probably never met two people less alike than we are.  So without further ado, Maggie and I present:

Being a Twin: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

The Good

Marian – Because of my sister I know about Transformers, He-Man, Air Jordan’s, and NKTOB.  As we grew up she became less of a tomboy and now thanks to her I know about pencil skirts and she taught me how to flat iron my hair.  (Yes, I needed to be taught.)

Maggie – Because of my sister, I know about My Little Ponies, Strawberry Shortcake, Jem and the Holograms and I can recite the lyrics from Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, and the Lion King by heart. She now keeps me in the loop about what the cool kids are doing. Having a boy that is three years ahead of my three year old helps a lot.

Jem is outrageous!

The Bad

Marian – Maggie always offered a different perspective.  When we were young, she wanted nothing to do with my Barbies unless she was attacking them with her Transformers.  Likewise, I didn’t want to touch her Transformers unless my Barbies could take a ride in one.  I had a constant playmate but we rarely wanted to play the same games.

More than meets the eye!

Maggie – Marian always wanted to do girly things rather than play sports. Although she may not have seemed as tough as I did during my tomboy phase, she did let me sleep in her bed for nearly a month after we watched Children of the Corn and she didn’t seem phased by that movie at all. I won’t forget that.

Marian – Hey Lifetime!  Why did you show this movie 20 times the summer between 2nd and 3rd grade?  And why was I compelled to watch it almost every time?  (I wasn’t phased by it, but I had Maggie in bed with me.)

The Ugly

Marian – The ugly would be the super short haircut I got when I wanted to imitate my cool sister who was the most popular kid in 5th grade.  Now she has long, thick, wavy hair that I still wish I could imitate.

Maggie – Let’s agree not to talk about, or show pictures of, the fifth grade….sigh.
I can’t say that I fully appreciated having a twin until we moved to Florida. Having someone your age that you could talk to was pretty valuable. Now that we are adults I appreciate it even more and whenever we get to see each other it is like no time has passed at all. I love my twin sis– especially now that we aren’t in high school together anymore!

Are your twins identical or fraternal?  Alike or very different?  Do they have Wonder Twin powers?  (Those seem to have skipped us.)  Is raising them fun or crazy?  Please tell me about some twins you know.

Connect with Marian on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest. She’s also on Instagram but I don’t know if that’s public information.

1 kerryb September 19, 2012 at 4:47 am

I seriously think you are talking about my girls! Except the giveaway was the 2 minutes…H is only a full minute older! Love the post and can’t wait to visit your blog!

2 just keep swimming September 19, 2012 at 11:42 pm

Kerryb – may your twin daughters grow to love each other as much as my twin and I do. We were such the odd couple growing up AND we had to share a room. It was all pretty funny in retrospect.

3 farrah September 19, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I love your post! I found myself laughing and remembering Jem, her Holograms and Transformers too. How intersting to experience all of that with a twin. And Children Of The Corn is by far and away one of my all time favorites. Anything with creepy kids. We had a horror hour on Saturdays where that movie (among others) should not have been on tv for kids!

4 just keep swimming September 19, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Funny enough, I remember Maggie watching Jem. I always thought that was a mutual decision; apparently not.
I think Children of the Corn was creepier for us because we literally lived in a corn field! My poor sister.
Thanks for having me visit Farrah.

5 Robbie September 19, 2012 at 2:11 pm

I don’t have twins but always wanted to. There was a brief time when I was pregnant with my daughter that I was measuring large & they thought I might be having twins. My husband has 2 aunts that are twins and his grandfather was a twin as well. I’ve taught many a twin in pre-k. Although I know it can be a source of controversy for some I definitely support separating twins in school-at least to start with so they can gain independence.

6 just keep swimming September 19, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Actually, I recently read an article that says it makes no difference academically if you keep twins together in school or separate them. They perform the same either way. I wonder if that’s because parents choose the option that is best for their particular set of twins. My sister and I always were separated.

7 Jen S. September 19, 2012 at 11:57 pm

My mom is a twin, and this post reminded me so much of her and her sister. They are total opposites! My mom is a neat freak, my aunt is a hoarder, my mom is shy, my aunt can make friends with a brick wall, my mom is very maternal and domestic, my aunt has always been very focused on her career and world affairs…you get the idea. And as a side note, Children of the Corn totally freaked me out, too!

8 just keep swimming September 20, 2012 at 2:52 am

Maggie is a neat hoarder, quiet but friendly, maternal, and focused on her work. There’s not much left for me when my sister already does it all.

9 AmyH September 20, 2012 at 1:22 am

I loved Jem! Very interesting perspective- you two sound a lot like my sister and I who are not twins at all. I ways wondered about twins in the same class too, as a teacher. Good to know it doesn’t matter! Farrah, I’ll be interested to see how alike or not your twins end up 😉

10 just keep swimming September 20, 2012 at 2:54 am

I always tell people we’re more like sisters born at the same time because when you tell someone you’re a twin it’s like you automatically have this clone where if you disappeared from the planet it would be OK because at least there’s one left.
I want to know too, Farrah, do you see any big differences between your boys yet? Are they inseparable or running in different directions?

11 farrah September 20, 2012 at 2:06 pm

So far they seem to be pretty independent of each other- but still love being roommates. They chit chat, laugh and have a good old time in there after naps or waking up in the morning. They are starting to play more together- but throwing B in the mix it’s all a free for all!

12 Greta September 20, 2012 at 1:33 am

I don’t have a sister, let alone a twin. And I’ve never been friends with a twin…I don’t even think I ever had any twins in my grade in school. So really, I know very little about twins, past the biological part of it. You’re fascinating to me! I loved this post (and the comments following it), Marian!

13 just keep swimming September 20, 2012 at 2:57 am

I’m actually shocked that you’ve never had an experience with twins. Whenever I tell someone I’m a twin I hear 20 stories about this one twin someone knew once upon a time. We had 3 sets of twins in my senior class and Maggie and I were the only twins ever nominated to our high school’s homecoming court. I have to admit that was kind of cool.
Thanks for stopping by Greta!

14 Shannon R September 20, 2012 at 1:57 am

I had two great friends in 8th grade who were twins. Aisha and Afia. They were identical, but two different personalities. Afia was a sports girl, Aisha was in band. They could have been born a year apart; you wouldn’t know.

I haven’t thought about them in a long time. I wish we would have stayed in contact. I think I may look them up! Thanks for the great post!

15 just keep swimming September 20, 2012 at 3:02 am

Thanks for reading Shannon! You were friends with both the twins? That’s very cool. I wasn’t very willing to share my friends with Maggie so we always ran in different circles. I guess it was me wanting to be my own person.

16 Meredith September 23, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Now I wish I were a twin! You guys make it sound so fun…and I really loved the throw-back to Jem. Haven’t thought of my gal in years…

17 just keep swimming September 30, 2012 at 3:33 am

I loved Jem & the Holograms and I wanted Jem dolls, but my mom bought me punk outfits for my Barbie dolls instead. We can’t have it all I suppose.

18 Stacey September 25, 2012 at 9:01 pm

I have twins, just turned 1. Like you two, they are nothing alike. Their personalities were obvious from VERY early on. A is a diva, very determined, attention-seeking. C flys below the radar, we joke that he’ll be our “pot head,” he already has that laid back personality.

19 hollow tree ventures September 30, 2012 at 3:15 am

Overall, that sounds really awesome and sort of cements my assumption that twins have a strange and mysterious bond that we singletons can only study with awe from afar.

20 just keep swimming September 30, 2012 at 3:37 am

That “pot head” label should probably stay a family secret. It’s hilarious and I have one of those two. It’s amazing how different two little people can be.