#iPPP: A Tale Of Six Knees

by farrah on September 12, 2012 · 14 comments

I cringe whenever I hear the phrase ‘Boys will be boys’.  I  hate stereotyping genders and labeling kids before they even get out of the gate.  So I am going to ignore that cliche for now and just talk about the little knees in my life and the abuse all six of them had this week.

My boys are like their mama and tough on their knees. I know what it’s like to get raspberries. I had my fair share of scrapes including the worst ever (from neck to belly button) when I slid down a tree. But on the other hand… I was also at least 10 or so- and I don’t think that my other random injuries started until I was old enough to be blamed for getting them in the first place. I can only feel sorry for these guys and kiss every scrape I see. This week seemed unusually cruel, however to the boys. Their poor knees took a beating and then some, so I thought what could be a better opportunity to document for the guys what their knees went through than the #iPPP link up with the gang?

First we have B. At 3.5 years old, his knees are the toughest- and I will say that he has gotten a little better this year compared to last. No matter that yesterday he came home from preschool with a band-aid on his left knee. He told me a sad story about how a little friend pushed him down. The vehemence he proclaimed his mistrust of this other child made me smile as I know how sweet they both are. Other than the bruises I would say he’s in the best shape:

Next, my little C-man. He came home from his first day of the Mom’s Morning Out program with a big raspberry and some bruises. Those poor little knees! He  is also about to turn two next month and I am hoping he grows out of the tippy toe walking. It doesn’t bother me other than the fact that it makes him a little bit more unsteady than his brothers. He can’t walk around barefoot either as he always cuts up his toes. Ouch, dude!

Lastly we have L. He had the roughest week of all. He is about to be 23 months old this week and had his first day at the MMO with C on Wednesday. He came home relatively unscathed- but his brothers took care of that. He was knocked around in the back yard or in the driveway and I had some kissing to do to make it all better. Oh yes- he tripped in the parking lot in front of Old Navy today- so that scrape would be new.

So, in a tale of three pairs of knees that was our week. Rough, tumble and bloody. Good times and I’m guessing this is only the beginning.

Thanks again to Greta and Julie for their #iPPP link up!

GFunkified

1 Julie September 12, 2012 at 2:18 am

Poor little knees! I hate when my kid gets any kind of blemish on his skin. It’s so white and perfect and smooth. But he’s busy, and clumsy, so oh well.

Kisses work to make them better though!

2 farrah September 12, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Brody likes the kisses part. I think he gets them on purpose. Linc is just a disaster- and Chase gets them when I’m not looking. Such are the mysteries of these children 🙂

3 Greta September 12, 2012 at 2:23 am

My girls are the clumsiest, by far. They are always falling, tripping, running into things. And the 3yo tip toes a lot, too. When we go out on the street, I always tell her to walk on her feet (!!!) So she doesn’t fall down. I feel ya!

4 farrah September 12, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Isn’t that funny? My pediatrician told me that they usually grow out of it- but I wonder what it’s all about?

5 Bridget September 12, 2012 at 5:24 am

When John was little I always said his legs looked like I beat him!! Reese and Jackson do better because it’s rarely warm enough for shorts here. 😉

6 farrah September 12, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Yes- I actually thought after taking these shots that the poor boys look beaten! We’re in SC so shorts are practically year round- oh well. I would hope people could tell by their ages that it’s not my fault.

7 sara September 12, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I feel your pain girl! Poor guys 🙁 Hunter tripped over one of his big trucks last night and busted up his lip. He was so sad! It broke my heart. It only lasted about 5 minutes, but it is so true unfortunately. I do keep hearing from people though that it will probably get worse as he gets older – oh the joys of having boys!!

8 farrah September 12, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Brody was SO clumsy- it’s only now that he’s kind of coming out of it. Poor H. I will never forget the busted lip one here either- no fun, but at least it prepares us for what’s ahead!

9 Ducky September 12, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I know my daughter got her grace, or lack there of it, from her momma. I always cringe when I see her running because I just KNOW history repeats itself and MY history always had me tripping over invisible bumps taking me face first to the ground. Heck, I was 5 months pregnant with her and tripped over a bubble in the pavement of a parking lot and face planted. Ended up breaking my knee.

I’m thinking its a rite of childhood passage (and somewhat into adult hood) to have scraped knees. 😀

10 farrah September 12, 2012 at 3:22 pm

It has to be! I actually wear my scars proudly today. My favorite is one from 8th grade when a boy pushed my down and cut open my knee. I fainted from that one !

11 Mama Pants September 12, 2012 at 7:11 pm

My son is like a nija. Almost never falls. My daughter is the one with bruises EVERYWHERE lol

Your poor beans! It’s a part of growing up that is probably the hardest on the mama <3

12 farrah September 12, 2012 at 11:55 pm

I wish mine were like ninjas! Well, maybe not. They might be even more daring then 🙂

13 Tara September 13, 2012 at 1:08 am

LOL! I don’t know that it’s boys or girls, since my two girls always have some sort of bruising, scraping or just dirty knees that never seem to get clean no matter how much I scrub. I’m still enjoying the kissing to make it feel better, since it won’t be that way much longer.

14 Leighann September 13, 2012 at 5:29 pm

I find this so adorable because my mom took pictures of my brother and I when we were younger with all of our bruises and scrapes.