My Twins Are Becoming Twins #iPPP

by farrah on September 26, 2012 · 19 comments

‘Oh wow- these guys almost look like twins!’– says a neighbor as he came into our house. ‘Uh, yeah, ‘ I heard my husband respond. I just shook my head and went into the kitchen. Part of me wondered if he was talking about one of the twins and B- or the twins themselves. I hoped that he was talking about B and one of the twins- but then again- that really didn’t make sense. So he must have been referring to L & C. We’ve been here six years- he knew we had twins… so maybe he was messing with me?

But as I have thought his comment over in my mind the past few days- he’s right. But not because they’re really looking more twin-like- but because they’re starting to act more twin-like. On the cusp of their second birthday I have become privy to secret conversations, knowing looks and inside jokes. I have spied on them from time to time- fooling around in their room and hamming it up like a couple of  pledges hanging out in the frat house for the first time. They conspire against me…. and I like it.

For a while part of me felt sad that I didn’t really have twins. I had three little boys- all who looked completely different, acted completely different and could care less about each other. I wanted to see them have this secret language and break out in this truly spontaneous and yet over the top dance sequence in the middle of the kitchen so that I could video tape it and become a millionaire. Or at least get on the Today show. I realize that I have years and years ahead of me to take back my enjoyment of their pranks and whatnot- but for today I am happy watching them become friends.

It’s interesting to have twins after you have a singleton because a) you’re pretty crazy by this point and know what’s coming TIMES TWO and b) you’re prepared to watch two people experience something only one person experienced with you the first time around. It’s also pretty neat to see them interact so early on with an ‘equal’. Sure we had playdates and such- but there was no built in roommate who was here 24-7 to share all of the experiences (be they good or bad). What I also have not been prepared for have been the roomie shenanigans. When the boys were babies in cribs they didn’t do crazy stuff, but they were if nothing else-  safe- and where I last put them. Today they are climbing out of the one remaining crib like a pair of orangutans. At nap time today I actually had to go in there, voice raised, to find them both out of their beds at the window- hiding behind the rocking chair.

It was already 2pm and they had been in there for 30 minutes. Being sick- and absolutely wiped out- I knew that they needed to be sleeping… however one of the two had gotten the bright idea to jump out of bed, get the other one, go over to the window and giggle at who knows what. As angry as I was that they weren’t sleeping- I was laughing at their camaraderie. Also I’m not sure where this came from but almost overnight they decided to switch beds. C had stayed in the crib since it wasn’t a convertible and he seemed the least likely to ‘leap’ from anything. L was in the converted daybed since he was going to jump out at all costs. I figured the least amount of height the better. Anyhow- they’ve since switched, and L taught C how to elegantly climb out and climb back in. Oy.

They’re not even two. I have so so so so so much to look forward to!

I love hearing about your twins or siblings that act like twins. What kind of shenannigins do they pull over on you?

Thanks to Greta & Julie for the delightful #iPPP link up week after week 🙂

GFunkified

1 Kathleen September 26, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Awww! They are so darn cute. It must be awfully hard to stay mad at them. I can’t wait to read more about their twin high jinks as they get older.

Oh, and that picture of them hugging is just priceless.

2 farrah September 26, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I can’t stay mad at any of them! I fall back on my ‘teacher’s voice’ when I have to be stern, otherwise I think the inmates would all be running the asylum.

3 Mama Pants September 26, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I love this so much. That last pic got me all misty too. So precious.

How amazing it must be to watch them develop this relationship like no other. Right before your eyes! My friends has B&G twinnies and they are just now turning 2 as well. It’s been so cool watching them become a little team.

Such a cool thing.

4 farrah September 26, 2012 at 11:48 pm

There’s something magical about being 2 as it is. I remember my oldest kind of exploded once he hit that age. It’s so much fun to see- and yes! A team indeed 🙂

5 Shannon September 26, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Super cute! My twin boys turned three in June and are joined at the hip now. They have their own games that they made up, they have secret conversations, and they really are playing together much better than they used to. With that said, there are still moments of twin-on-twin violence…hoping that fades with age!

6 farrah September 26, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Haha! I can imagine that. I can see how B has stepped up the 3yo ‘possessiveness’ when it comes to toys and whatnot. I don’t know if I can handle three of them acting that way.

7 Amanda Austin September 26, 2012 at 5:43 pm

OH MY…that last picture just says it all, doesn’t it?

I just have one so far but I’m getting baby fever. But I really just want my little guy to have a playmate. 🙂

8 farrah September 26, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Baby fever is tough! I have been eternally cured. Twins are great- but they also had that effect on me 🙂

9 Jamie@southmainmuse September 26, 2012 at 5:53 pm

No twins around here but your boys are terribly cute.

10 farrah September 26, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Thanks Jamie!

11 Ducky September 26, 2012 at 6:15 pm

I love it! You deserve an award…in the fashion of a nap I think. Just reading about it makes me tired! They are adorable and you DO have so much fun ahead of you!

12 farrah September 26, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Thanks- I think as moms we all deserve that reward!

13 Julie September 26, 2012 at 7:18 pm

This just made me grin the whole time I was reading it. That last pic is so precious, too. I guess it feels weird, having carried them and nurtured them, but being sort of an outsider to their world.

14 farrah September 26, 2012 at 11:55 pm

I’ve never thought of it like that- but it’s exactly what I’m experiencing. It’s all in a good way though- as their closeness really makes me very happy.

15 Greta September 26, 2012 at 7:47 pm

I’ve always wished for a twin or to have twins. It’s such a special, unique relationship! But oy….twice the work! I’ll be praying for you, Farrah! Ha!

16 farrah September 26, 2012 at 11:56 pm

Just be here to support me along the way. I don’t know- I think 4 kids has got to be right up there as just as hard!

17 Kristen @ The Preppy Girl in Pink September 26, 2012 at 8:44 pm

So sweet! I have a friend that had two sets of twins…one set of girls and another of boys. I swear that they can just look at each other and know everything without saying a word.

18 farrah September 26, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Oh my gosh- she hit the jackpot!!!!! She’s got a taste of everything- that’s awesome. Someday they will use this secret lingo thing to their advantage I’m sure.

19 Leigh Ann September 30, 2012 at 8:52 pm

My girls didn’t really start to “act” like twins until about 2. Now they too are joined at the hip, so much so that I had to make the decision to separate them in preschool so they wouldn’t be such a distraction to each other. I think it’s been great for them AND enhanced their relationship at home. Most days. 😉