So Now It’s Getting Tough (Status Update)

by farrah on October 1, 2012 · 20 comments

Today is October 1st and that means that we fly out of here in 28 days. So much has happened that I figured it was time to do a status update- if you’re into things like the kind of details it takes to make something like making a move overseas happen. It’s pretty much as insane an undertaking as you’d think- and possibly even more so.

So with just a few weeks left, we had our first showing for a possible renter on Saturday. We decided to go with a management company to list, show and manage our property while we are gone- because frankly, selling our house right now was not going to happen. And, since we are just renting over there- this seemed like the way to go to keep us all sane. Our agent listed our house a few weeks ago, and once online I was very unhappy with how it looked. It sat pretty quietly, and I requested she come to take some more photos. Well, she made plans to come out and also do our first showing. If anything I was excited to hear some feedback. I hired a team of cleaning ladies to help me with the finishing touches and hoped for the best.

L mowed the lawn to get ready for the showing. Everyone’s ptching in!

They want it! First people out of the gate and they asked for an application and if we were selling our furniture. Of course! Of course! In my mind I was seeing the perfect scenario- this wonderful family from Chicago would rent our home, buy our stuff and keep me from packing or reselling it myself. Well, once we quoted them on our bedroom and dining room sets (both of which I love dearly) they passed. I was bummed. Mostly because I was really hoping I wouldn’t have to deal with it- but also because now…well now I do have to deal with it. So on a high note that’s awesome we have a possible renter. I hope they pass the application process because a sweet family of three (their child is 4 years old) makes me very happy and I would love to see a family living here.

Next I told hubs we had to get cracking and order the necessities in the way of furniture for over there. We went to Ikea a few weeks ago and picked out what we wanted and it was time to go through the Netherlands Ikea site to make a spreadsheet with corresponding product numbers. Bedrooms, mattresses, duvets, pillows, lamps, kitchen table & chairs- all things like this we put in a file. The touble here is though- what am I missing? What little things am I forgetting that won’t be a total pain in the butt to have until I am in the middle of missing something?

Don’t forget there is no Target. I don’t speak Dutch, so it’s not just like I can ask someone- or read a map, hop in the car and go… where? I have no idea what stores are going to have my laundry soap, shampoo, etc. It’s like whatever doesn’t fit into the 1500lbs of air freight to go over with us, is going to have to wait until I figure out where to get it.

In addition to home goods type shopping- we are also scrambling  for colder/wetter climate clothing. Clothes over there are much more expensive- not to mention we really don’t have what we need (coats for example) to get started. So much shopping is being done that frankly, I’m sick of it already and I haven’t even done much for myself other than some boots and a coat.

On top of this we’re trying to cram Disney and Sea World in for the boys next weekend, the weekend after that an  ‘It All Goes’ moving sale, and at that point we may face moving into a hotel for the last week, depending upon when these people need to move in. Not sure when- but we also have to put the cars up for sale and , oh I don’t know- PACK. How am I not crazy already?

I look around and it’s so strange because I know all of this stuff has to get done, but at the same time I can’t really do any of it just yet. We have a mini storage unit- so we set stuff aside that we can part with- but some things just can’t be done right now…

Things are gonna get nuts up in here… and I am pretty sure this is just the beginning.

So what’s something I should really consider ordering or packing with us? I have boys’ nightlights, white noise machines, monitors and EU plug adapters on the list. What else? What’s a must have move in thing you always forget like toilet paper?

1 Shannon October 1, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I am the same way – I wait and I wait and I wait. And then I panic. But in the end, it all does get done, so fear not, and good luck!

2 farrah October 1, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Thanks! It will be here soon, and then we will be on the other side. I have felt like this before too- when I was on bed rest all I wanted was for the ‘other side’ 🙂

3 sara October 1, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Just remember to stay calm – it WILL all get done! Because it has to and because you always get it done. I cannot even imagine the overwhelming-ness (if that is even a word) that you must be feeling right now. I would suggest buying your fav/must have products in bulk before you leave (Ex: I love dove soap and probably couldn’t live without it) Is there something that you use on a daily basis that you can’t live without? If so, buy in bulk (Costco?) and pack it in a must have/toiletries box.

Some other things I might consider bringing for the kiddos: outlet plug covers (if they are even the same over there), bath items, DVD’s, a DVD player, medicine. Hope this helps! It will all work out Farrah!!

4 farrah October 1, 2012 at 1:34 pm

That is a tip I need to remember. Pack meds for the kids. From what I understand pedis there aren’t as quick to act with medicine- so I should probably stock up on my kids motrin, tylenol & benedryl. I do need to get to Costco and stock up on deodorant, soap probably too- you’re right. Seems like so much to do, but I know we will get there!

5 Jen October 2, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Pedis? I guess I didn’t tell you that you don’t get one there. You take your kids to the baby clinic for their annual growth checks, and the regular family doctor for everything else…Also they have all the same brands of soap and deodorant.

6 farrah October 2, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Good to know and prepare myself for!!!

7 Kristin October 1, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I’ve never been, but I can’t help but think that there will be plenty of people who will know English – and don’t they have ALDI? And I suggest (if you haven’t already) checking out Virtual Tourist and LonelyPlanet sites for advice on shopping and children and such.

As you said in your response above, stock up on things you trust and will need: medicine and so on. Otherwise, you’re going to be FINE! Great, even.

8 farrah October 2, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Yes, English is very widely spoken! From our brief trip there in June I can see how I can pass. BUT with things like the food labels, etc. That will be an adjustment. I know kip is chicken and that’s about it 🙂 YEP- medication is on my list!!

9 anne October 1, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I read this with a smile 🙂

10 farrah October 2, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Been there? Done this? I welcome input 🙂

11 Jen October 2, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Honestly, having done this twice, it’s easy to let yourself get overwhelmed trying to have day 1 be like any other day, but you can’t completely recreate your life here, over there. You will have to learn to make adjustments to new products, new shops, new ways of doing things, otherwise you might as well not bother going. Focus on closing up over here, getting rid of as much as you can as early as you can (we were putting stuff on the kerb about 6 hours before our plane left!), and let yourself enjoy the adventure of discovering all the new shops and products when you arrive 😉 (of course you can still ask me all your questions!)

12 farrah October 2, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I can so see that being us- hours before we leave! Right now I am trying to deal with the emotional part of leaving and I think distract myself with the logistics. A self-coping/defense mechanism for sure.

13 Alyssa @NearNormalcy October 2, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Oh my goodness, friend. You’re really doing it, aren’t you? You’re really LEAVING US.

Are you going to have the bike delivered to you now and pack it? I guess I figured you’d order it when you got there.

14 farrah October 9, 2012 at 1:37 pm

It should be here any day now- I CANNOT WAIT!!!

15 Robbie October 4, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I can’t believe it’s almost time! It is frustrating when there are things to be done but can’t be done YET. Wondering if you can list cars and when people are interested just be clear WHEN they will get possession. I strongly recommend freecycle for getting rid of stuff-and people come to pick it up. Anything you can’t sell could also be donated..to homeless shelter, DV shelter, goodwill etc.

16 farrah October 9, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Yep- they are on my speed dial and after this sale Saturday everything goes!

17 Uli October 8, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Hi I just stumbled over your blog … I’ve been living in the Netherlands for 6 years, so I know my way around by now. I also have kids so I know a lot about preschools, schools (can be quite confusing), shopping, activities and other things. You can e-mail me any questions you have.

18 farrah October 9, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Thanks! Just sent you an email!