Update: 4 Days To Go

by farrah on October 25, 2012 · 22 comments

By some miracle on earth I have actually gotten it down so that the boys nap at their regular time which is allowing me this second to write. All in one room no less, in the hotel. Right about now I am grateful for my Nazi-like structure when it came to raising the boys with regard to naps as otherwise I don’t think I’d have a moment’s peace.  So… here’s the latest and greatest in our life as nomads.

Yesterday we had to be out of the house for the painters. I got the boys up and off to school- drove them the 30 minutes downtown, met a lady to sell a crib mattress, ran back home to get more donations ready for the shelter, had to run to the hotel and drop off the pack and plays— then go get the boys, lunch, and return to the hotel. After I miraculously got them to nap after lunch, we headed over to the house- ate takeout in our bare kitchen and I did more packing. Turns out I missed quite a bit that needed to go air freight- so my husband made a frantic call and asked if we could run some over this morning.

He took the boys to Lowe’s and I gathered the rest of the air freight, packed a bunch of the suitcases, and cleaned out the bathroom drawers. I’d go over there tonight too- but we have his work going away party so it’s just going to have to wait until Friday. That’s it- my last day getting the house cleaned out, donated out, and sent to the storage unit. Carpet cleaners and the house cleaners arrive Satruday- and the new tenants move in Sunday. Right now I wish we just sold the house. Renting to them has made me nervous.

Thankfully my husband is off tomorrow- I am SO SICK of doing this logistical crap without his help. I know he’d be here if he could, but when everything is thrown off it really makes this a million times harder. I have been blessed with very happy and easy-going children- this is a total ‘adventure’ to them, and they’re loving it. Today we went to the zoo- in absolutely pristine weather- and met the new baby giraffe. We had a great time, and it was bittersweet to spend a last day at one of our favorite places in Greenville.

This is Kiko. It was awesome seeing him- we have been watching on the live cam all week!

At the zoo, one of the most facinating things ever is…. a small waterfall. Go figure.

I have a picture of the boys sitting on this bear from earlier this spring too. I love it. And I love how L is ‘growling’ at the bear.

Friday will be crazy, I have B’s going away party at school- and then work on the house. I have to get his cake somehow today – and store it where? I’m hoping the hotel will have a fridge I can use until tomorrow. Oh I am so sick of this.

Sunday is another day of hotel living until we figure out the rest of the packing situation and then it’s go time. I still have to deal with my phone. Not sure how I’m going to do that- sell it? It won’t work over there…. and I will be without one for who knows how long.

Oh it’s the little details that are killing me right now. Now I know why more people don’t do this…. so far it is sucking really, really hard. I still can’t believe we are moving to Europe. Maybe it will hit me when we land? It’s like a defense mechanism has gone up inside of me, and I am only dealing with the here and now or I’ll explode.

Hope to update again… it helps to know I have you guys pulling for us. We’re in the home stretch now. We can do this.

((I would like to note that Drury Inn & Suites is awesome. They have a perfect two room suite  for us and the staff has been wonderful. Very clean, very nice. Not getting anything by saying that either– just wanted to add as a sidenote))

1 Colleen Lanin October 25, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Breathe. You are doing great. It will all be worth it. I am jealous you are moving to Europe – I’d go in a heartbeat, headaches and all!

2 farrah October 28, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Thanks Colleen! I look forward to contributing from over the pond 🙂

3 nerdmommathfun October 25, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Oh, we LOVE Drury. Never had to do something as epic as you’re doing, but with family spread all over we definitely seek them out.

You’re doing such an amazing job at such an amazing thing – big, big hugs and all the chocolate to you!! Hang in there – I just KNOW in a few weeks you’ll be telling us all about the awesomely incredible European things you’ll be doing, and we’ll be GREEN with envy 🙂

4 farrah October 28, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Ah- I am just trying to keep my kids happy like we all do. I’ll take the chocolate though. Thanks 🙂

5 Lady Estrogen October 25, 2012 at 6:38 pm

OMG. I’d be going out of my mind! Good luck!!

6 farrah October 28, 2012 at 7:47 pm

It’s been gone for a while now… but ain’t no thang.

7 Greta October 25, 2012 at 6:42 pm

The details! They’re the absolute WORST. I don’t know how you’re doing it, but you are, and you’ll get it done somehow! I still can’t believe it’s happening so fast…seems like just yesterday, you still had a month to go. Hugs, mama!

8 farrah October 28, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Thanks G! I miss #iPPP too 🙁 been too crazy lately. We did get it done- you know moms are tough cookies!

9 Leigh Ann October 25, 2012 at 8:45 pm

You are a rock star. I would lose my shit a thousand times a day (I do NOT have easygoing children, which I blame on my Nazy-like schedules when they were younger). I’m sure that once you guys get settled in Europe this will blow over and you’ll be like “How in the world did I DO that???”

10 Leigh Ann October 25, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Oops Nazi like I mean

11 farrah October 28, 2012 at 7:50 pm

I try to imagine that. But then the thought that inevitably follows is: ‘Oh wait. I have to do this AGAIN?!??!’ once we go somewhere else!

12 Jen October 25, 2012 at 10:26 pm

I’m having so many flashbacks reading your posts, even though its been almost 6 years! I’m also getting really jealous, I can’t tell you how much I miss NL sometimes.

13 farrah October 28, 2012 at 7:52 pm

That does make me feel better- knowing it’s a place people miss. I have already forgotten how much I loved it when we visited in June. I’m going to have you on speed dial once I get online 🙂

14 Nolamom1 October 26, 2012 at 12:09 am

You definitely have tons of people on your side. It’s going to be great! You’re a mommy super hero. I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s jealous of your opportunity and your bravery. What a great example you are setting for your kids. To take chances, seize the moment, all while caring for and loving not only your family, but your friends and even strangers – definitely super hero behavior.

15 farrah October 28, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Aw, thank you so much- but at heart I am just like the rest of us moms trying to do what we can to keep the kids happy. So many struggle so much more than I do- they are the super moms. Life is what we make it, and we all want the best for our kids 🙂

16 Robbie October 26, 2012 at 4:23 am

Details can suck the life out of you. One thing at a time is the way to go. Since you didn’t sell the house you can always come back to it should you need/want to. I cried a little bit–ok maybe a lot-when we signed our closing papers.

((hugs))

17 farrah October 28, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Thank you so much for your support- it really has meant so much to me. It’s weird, I am at a differnet point today, it helped seeing the house freshly painted with our bumps and marks gone and the carpets clean. Like it wasn’t filled with our memories- our memories are IN US. I need to rememeber that. xo

18 CK October 26, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Is your phone locked? If it isn’t, you can simply swap out the SIM card and buy a SIM card in the Netherlands.

19 farrah October 28, 2012 at 7:57 pm

We asked about that, and they have told us that the phone I have will not work under any circumstances over there. Such a PAIN.

20 CK October 29, 2012 at 12:26 am

That sucks. In terms of settling once you arrive… Just focus on routine and the apartment for the first few days/weeks and have little to no expectations on yourself. There will be highs and lows the first few weeks, then you’ll be sailing!! I had a few ‘break downs’ my first week, but eventually got into a routine and a groove that worked for us. Now I look back on those first two weeks and give my head a shake – needed to put less pressure on myself. No regrets and loved every minute!

21 Lindsey April 28, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Hey mrs. Ritter! I just found you blog and thought I would say hey! I hope everything is going well, and tell the boys I say Hey!