What Three Year Olds Do For Fun #iPPP

by farrah on October 3, 2012 · 23 comments

Preschool is a funny thing. Your kid learns all kinds of stuff when you’re not around- and then drops a bomb on you at home when you’re least expecting it. You think to yourself- ‘Wow, my kid is brilliant! How’d he learn all this stuff??!!’. At least I know I do. Well anyhow- this year he has preschool 3 days a week and has more of his ‘music’ time which bestows upon the rest of the family his new-found musical gifts.

For weeks now, B has this thing where he loves playing with our hangers. It started with a chair I had in our bedroom (sold now, sadly) that he would hang any metal hangers he could find on the arm, and ‘make music’ by clanging them together. Yeah, so it’s funny and adorable- but also gets on my nerves when he leaves the hangers all over the place. I was of the belief that this would stop once I got rid of the chair, but no. This is what he does now:

Of course this is hilarious. I come into my bedroom, my sanctuary, and find hangers hanging from every hook on every drawer. His dad has a matching dresser that’s taller and more narrow- and you can imagine how that one looks too. Same thing. If I happen to forget he’s in my room and lose myself in some kind of twin destruction or another- this is what he does, and left in the closet are all of our clothes in a heap on the floor.

So cute. Seriously. My kid is brilliant.

Thanks again to Greta & Julie for the linkup to share my prodigy’s work this week!

Mamamash

1 Greta October 3, 2012 at 2:23 am

Ha! Okay, I did think it was adorable until you mentioned the clothes on the floor! No way! And yes, my kids regularly blow me away after learning things at school. Isn’t it amazing?!

2 farrah October 3, 2012 at 2:26 am

I love it. I wish they’d just finish this whole potty training thing for me, eh?

3 Julie October 3, 2012 at 2:23 am

HA! That made me laugh out loud loudly. Cute, but so annoying, right? You have to keep moving them!

Oh, and NO MORE WIRE HANGERS. (Obligatory quote, you know that.)

4 farrah October 3, 2012 at 2:26 am

Of course! I hate them- but those stupid dry cleaning shirts keep coming back…. I’ve even heard myself saying ‘NO MORE WIRE HANGERS!!’ Mommy D style.

5 Tara October 3, 2012 at 2:44 am

That is impressive!! What does it sound like? Is it actually musical?

6 farrah October 3, 2012 at 2:10 pm

It was when they were on the arm of the chair! They kind of just rang a little, as he ran his hand across them- but now, poor thing- he’s trying and it just doesn’t work. I tried telling him to KEEP THEM IN THE CLOSET on the lower rack (it’s at his height) but that’s no good. Also he doesn’t realize the plastic ones aren’t so great for music making 😉

7 Kerstin October 3, 2012 at 4:15 am

Awesome! You can get him to organize all the hangers in your new house 😉

8 farrah October 3, 2012 at 2:14 pm

he will be SO EXCITED when he sees the new hangers I got at Costco. They’re those super slim ones and I can see him now going nuts 🙂

9 Ducky October 3, 2012 at 6:23 am

That’s brilliance. Quiet brilliance! I rather imagine the clanging of hangers, while a bit messy in the end, is preferable to the clanging of a wooden spoon on the bottom of a bucket. An Easter bucket she happen to get from Nana. Oh.. That’s my house. But I still think you’ve quite the innovator in that one!

10 farrah October 3, 2012 at 2:17 pm

I know your pain with pots and wooden spoons- I made the mistake ONE TIME letting them do that while I made dinner- never again!

11 Katie E October 3, 2012 at 10:51 am

That is hilarious. Kids are so weird. We refer to all of these things that Brinky does (he’s not quite at that genius level yet since he’s only 21 months) as his projects. Stacking magazines, gathering just about anything, milk painting…serious projects.

12 farrah October 3, 2012 at 2:19 pm

It’s so fun to see these things they do. Seriously- stuff I never would have thought was amusing!

13 Kristen October 3, 2012 at 3:32 pm

My girls take their Littlest Pet Shop toys and set up the funniest scenes throughout the house. They got the idea from our Elf on the Shelf. Now they come up with all kinds of fun ways to leave us entertained. It starts with hangers and just keeps going. 😉

14 farrah October 4, 2012 at 12:13 am

Yay! I love it- so no complaints here. I can’t wait to see what they come up with- as long as Legos aren’t involved. Ouch!

15 Tracy October 3, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Oh, the bizarre collections and “projects” around the house! Right now there is a ribbon tied around the banister and attached to the doorknob of the hall closet, as well as some rocks lining the windowsill in the dining room. Who are we to disrupt their genius?

16 farrah October 4, 2012 at 12:14 am

Ha! Who knows what they’re plotting- but I agree with you, yes, true genius!

17 Mama Pants October 3, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Kids are awesome. They don’t need nmo stinkin toys lol They are just brilliant. Mine use the ladels in the kitchen to make music. Ear ringing, beautiful music lol

18 farrah October 4, 2012 at 12:14 am

Ha! Just make sure you keep the potato masher hidden. That thing is LOUD.

19 Jamie@southmainmuse October 3, 2012 at 6:15 pm

That was funny. That’s the great thing about blogging. You’ll have all these precious moments archived.

20 farrah October 4, 2012 at 12:15 am

That’s the plan, and why I love this gig. Not sure who I’m more excited to read this years from now- their spouses or myself.

21 Jill@MommyInconsistent October 5, 2012 at 5:50 am

Hahaha! I have one of those at home…can’t keep up with his mess! Yours is a future fashion designer perhaps?? Very cute, whatever he’s doing! (Visiting from #iPPP)

22 Arnebya October 11, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Impressive. I wish my preschooler would’ve brought home a penchant for music instead of the “hush it up”, foot stamping, and arm crossing with a dramatic sigh/huff thing that he’s brought home this past week alone. I’d gladly take hangers and clothes on the floor over any of those.

23 Carolyn Kavarnos October 19, 2012 at 11:30 pm

My five year old just started kindergarten and I would take what he was going to wear the next day from his closet and hang it over the top of his mirror above his dresser. Well he then enjoyed selecting his own clothes and since he could not reach the mirror he started hanging them over the knob on his desk drawer. Apparently this is very empowering and so imagine my surprise when all of his neatly hung John Deere shirts and that is about 20 because I am a crazy mother who buys too many clothes, on either side of the door handle on the door to his room. When I went to move them he protested and well, I pick my battles. At least he left the rest of his shirts and pants in the closet.