Baby It’s Cold Outside… #iPPP

by farrah on January 16, 2013 · 15 comments

Brrrr….

This week sure got chilly here in good old Oisterwijk (which is pronounced Oh-stir-vike).

First, it got really cold. Like put on your hats and gloves cold. But at least the sun was out.

Saturday on a stoop…

stoop

Then we had to get a new fish. He couldn’t take the cold. RIP Bash (of Bash, Dash & Ferdinand fame).

The end is nigh….

stoop2

It was a tough week. Mom & Dad needed a date night so went out to a fancy French restaurant (SEC in the city center). I had the surf and turf (kreeft, tournedos, pommes dauphine, haricots verts, kreeftenjus, bearnaisesaus). Really fancy way of saying not enough lobster, but really good regardless.

Yum…

stoop3

Came home to find a gift left in my boot.

I spy with my little eye…

stoop4

And then it started to fall. The boys were in love. This is only the second time they’ve really seen snow.

Superheros unite and wish for MORE SNOW!

stoop5

I, on the other hand, knew what we were in for. And yesterday’s epic struggle to get to school was NOT my idea of a good time.

Sure. They’re smiling, I’m the one pushing!

stoop7

And today we all sit back and enjoy the sickness. B brought another cold into the house and actually threw up this morning from congestion. I’m keeping them home for the rest of the week because I will NOT allow sickness to derail our trip in two weeks to Strasbourg, France and then Switzerland. I will not. I WILL NOT.

Chase is the wild hair in the corner (between my nose and L’s ear). He has it bad again too. Poor baby. He had a rough week after hitting his head on the floor, throwing up, feared concussion= another trip to the late night doc. Good news though he was ok. Gah!

stoop8

Thanks again to the lovely hostesses with the mostesses Greta & Julie! Go check out Greta’s new facelift. I swear it looks like she’s lost at least 15 years! So that means she’s like 10.

GFunkified

1 Danielle January 16, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Looks cold! I have to say I love a good snow fall, but imagine I would be done with it if we had it that much. It’s quite the switch in weather for your family. My favorite picture is the boys looking out the window. They must love the new form of precipitation!

2 farrah January 16, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Oh they do. Can we go outside yet? Canwecanwecanwecanwe????? NOOOOOOO!!! Mama doesn’t like the snow. But really, it’s because they’re all sick again 🙂

3 Kristen January 16, 2013 at 1:20 pm

I can’t believe you battled that snow to get to school. I was freezing and my hands hurt just from seeing your photo on Instagram.
As for keeping B home the rest of the week, I am in full agreement. I was tempted to keep mine home for a week this week just to let their immune systems have a vacation but 3rd & 5th graders have tests and social lives that they don’t want to miss.
Hope everyone is feeling better quickly and you can enjoy the snow outside while watching it in the warmth of the inside. 😉

4 farrah January 16, 2013 at 2:17 pm

The thing with colds is at least they’re just colds. A total pain. Snot, possible ear infection, a rare barf of snot.. but I can handle that. Fevers scare me, but this time that is pretty low key. But yep- totally keeping them home this week. Learned my lesson!!

5 CK January 16, 2013 at 2:20 pm

When in Strasbourg, drive down to Colmar (~30-4min drive) – old town Colmar is very pretty. Also, a replica of the Statute of Liberity can be found on the main road entering into Colmar.

Heads up… Switzerland is pretty much closed down on Sundays. Good luck finding a place to eat! 🙂

6 farrah January 16, 2013 at 2:27 pm

We will be driving back on Sunday- so THANK YOU for your awesome tips!! I’m going to look like a real expert when I share this info 🙂

7 Solon January 16, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Don’t know how you manage. Freezing cold, taking children out in the snow without a car, then they get colds after just getting over the flu. Never-ending battle just to keep the Babies from being ill 24/7. You guys have a car, right? You’re probably really looking forward to Spring. We’re having high 30s in the day, low 30s at night lately but thankfully no snow. Had 1 day that reached 73° in the daytime, last week, but dropped back down to 43° that night. I really hate cold. Hope they boys can get rid of colds and flu permanently, soon.

8 farrah January 17, 2013 at 9:58 am

We do have a car- but the school is so close I really shouldn’t need it. I am never- however- doing that again! I will take the car!!!!
I hate the cold too- but darn it if they don’t just love the snow. Boys.

9 Greta @gfunkified January 16, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Bahaha! I wish I was 25. 😀 And thanks!

Pushing a stroller in the snow is my idea of hell. SERIOUSLY. I don’t even like loading up in the car in the snow. Sorry about the sickies but yay for date nights!

10 farrah January 17, 2013 at 9:58 am

It was hell. And I will not be doing that again!!!

11 Solon January 16, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Farrah;
You might want to ask your doctor about the boys getting Gamma Globulin shots to temporarily boost their immune system so they can have a break from colds and flu for about 6 weeks to 2 months, just so they can get built back up from being sick so much.

12 farrah January 17, 2013 at 9:59 am

I’m willing to bet they don’t offer that here. They are very hesitant to treat child illnesses with medication- even antibiotics. For now I’ve enlisted vitamins and added garlic to their diets as well as OJ. Linc isn’t sick this time- which is weird.

13 Julia January 16, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Snow is always a mixed thing the excitement of the snow and then the reality that you have to deal with it.

14 farrah January 17, 2013 at 9:59 am

Blarg. I am already over it.

15 nerdmommathfun January 19, 2013 at 3:19 am

Oh, snow. So pretty. Such a pain in the ass. (Literally. I remember walking home in college after work one night and falling so many times in the icy snow that I just sat down on the sidewalk and slid my butt the 2 blocks home.) Hope the little guys feel better – selfishly, I’m dying to hear about your trip!!