I Don’t Miss You Brian, Matt or Savannah

by farrah on February 27, 2013 · 12 comments

Current events? What current events? To be honest I haven’t the slightest idea what’s going on these days. In fact- I didn’t even know that the Oscars were the other night, and that’s a fact.New Today Show Hosts

Don’t even get me started on the Harlem Shake. I refuse to Google it and basically assume that it is some kind of new smoothie coming out of New York. I do know, however, that someone on Downton Abbey died and people are quite perturbed. Since I am two seasons behind, I suppose it’s not really that big a deal to me at the moment.

I do not know what celeb is pregnant, what number child Jessica Simpson is on, or even what the Pantone color is for fall. Yikes!

You’re laughing at me right now I bet.. since these things are all probably old news!

Before we moved here at the end of October, I watched the Today Show every morning (ahem- to clarify when PBS Kids was over with the good stuff) and Brian Williams every evening on NBC Nightly News. every.day. In fact- throw in our former local affiliate WYFF 4 and I was on top of that starting at 5pm.

I didn’t watch anything else. It was news, or nothing.

Here we are today and I don’t watch a thing. On exactly two occasions I have tried to watch Hulu’d or Slingbox streamed versions of the NBC news- but it just doesn’t feel the same as watching it live. I realize this sounds crazy- but it’s true. I either have to watch it a day later or stay up until like midnight which is just not going to happen.

My only source of media/current event information comes from Twitter and Facebook. To be honest- I pretty much glaze over the current event topics anyhow, so in essence I have no idea what’s going on in the world. We get E News Channel, but meh. I didn’t watch it back then so why would I subject myself to Kardashian news now?

Is that irresponsible? Or brilliant? I honestly cannot decide. Maybe it’s a problem since I won’t know the latest wedding dance trend this spring- gasp!

I don’t care what’s happening back in the states. I don’t care about what is, or (most likely) what is NOT happening in congress. I don’t know about the latest American Idol drama (is there any? I wouldn’t know) and I have no idea what is going on with your weather besides it’s winter and it’s snowing and people are bitching about it.

I kind of like this new-found oblivion to tell you the truth. I am not on the computer nearly as much as I used to be since my social media cronies are all on at different hours. I go to bed when they’re just getting warmed up.

I know that my boys are happy, healthy and truly enjoying themselves. Basically as long as I avoid Ikea meatballs (and I only know that because we were at Ikea ordering meatballs) I think we will be ok.

What do you think? Am I being irresponsible? A jerk? I can’t help it. The news is depressing.

1 Solon February 27, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Let’s see: Oh there was a fan uprising about who died on Downton Abbey. I’d tell you who, but don’t want to spoil it for you. The Harlem Shake is a dance that originated in Harlem. The Republicans are behaving exactly the way they did throughout the entirety of Obama’s first four years. The Oscars were somewhat refreshing because most women wore elegant gowns instead of trying to see how much skin they could show. (There were a few exceptions, of course). Pregnancies? Well one or more of the Kardashians, again, by husband or boyfriend No. 999. You’ve now been brought up-to-date about what’s going on in the U.S. and won’t need to think about it again for another year because nothing changes. Same Sh*t, Different Day!

Good Lord the Twins are growing! They look as though they’re both as big as B. Still adorable as always. Glad B seems to be comfortable at his new school.

Times flies, Jack & Lilly just turned 1 year old and I’ve reached the halfway mark 20 weeks with Sam and Izzy. Shocking that Indy is 2 yrs. 4 months. We’re all looking forward to Spring here as I know you are there. You’re in the perfect place for a colorful, glorious Spring.

2 farrah February 28, 2013 at 8:57 am

Solon, you seriously make my day. Thank you and you should probably consider getting your own talk show that could cover whatever is important in a 10 minute show 🙂

Still can’t believe you’re having two more babies! Lucky kiddos you have there, mama!

3 Kerstin February 27, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I hear ya!
The only reason I stay up to date is my teenager, who tells me all about the Harlem Shake….
It’s way more important that you’ll be among thousands of tulips soon!
Good to hear that you are doing well, enjoy every minute of it!
(Thanks for linking my FB page. I already regret that I made one because now I want people to like it. Crap. – Also, I did not think there was a whale skeleton in Germany, I just know about the one in Vancouver)
xo

4 farrah February 28, 2013 at 8:58 am

So that’s what teenagers are good for! Hahah, just kidding 🙂

I cannot wait for the tulips. The photos floating around have me giddy.

5 Stephanie February 27, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Hey, I’m here and I don’t know most of this. And I haven’t known wedding dances since the Electric Slide, which, as I say this, I realize is completely pathetic. I do pay attention to Kimye because I’m eagerly awaiting the news that one (or preferably both) of them were swallowed by a volcano. You’re not missing anything.

6 farrah February 28, 2013 at 8:59 am

Good to know. And here I was beginning to panic that I still don’t understand Gangnam Style.

7 karla February 27, 2013 at 3:57 pm

welcome to my world of not having a clue as to what is ever going on. i haven’t googled the Harlem shake either. before FB and twitter my news friend would call me to inform me of anything really important.

8 farrah February 28, 2013 at 9:00 am

Karla you know if we were still in the classroom we’d be up on all this stuff! Katie would totally fill us in I’m sure.

9 Greta February 28, 2013 at 4:16 am

I rarely watch the news. I do watch American Idol, and there definitely is drama there. And yes, I’ve been bitching about the weather. 🙂

10 farrah February 28, 2013 at 9:00 am

lol- aren’t we all? I am so sick of the grey. I just want SUN!!! Please!!!!

11 Danielle March 6, 2013 at 4:57 pm

I agree with you. I stopped watching the news a long time ago. I do sometimes feel like I don’t have a clue but I’m happy in my little bubble. I feel just like you the news is depressing!

12 Gayla July 17, 2013 at 9:56 am

I agree. I don’t miss American news and I was up on almost all of it before coming here. I do still get plenty of updates from friends in the states, and it is all depression. I’m much happier this way and learning to adjust to Dutch news, which thankfully, is much less sensational 🙂