Anatomy Of A Germany Road Trip- Pt. I Frankfurt

by farrah on March 31, 2013 · 15 comments

We’re back! Oh it is so so so wonderful to be home. We got in late afternoon yesterday which made an easy transition for bedtime. Our family had such a jam-packed week for our Germany road trip, I decided to break this up into multiple posts this week. What we did in Frankfurt, what Munich in the snow was like and then wrapping it up with Nuremberg and Bamberg last of all. Several of my stereotypes were put to the test this week, and you’ll see if I was proven wrong or my suspicions were confirmed when it comes to Germany, Germans and hostels.

We left Oisterwijk last Monday, the 25th of March. It wasn’t sunny, but wasn’t bone chilling-cold either. Our goal was to be on the road by 8am in order to make it to the hostel in Munich by 7pm. We planned on a pit stop in Frankfurt at the nature museum which was about half way, as the idea was to get out and stretch our legs for about two hours since the boys need that kind of thing for everyone’s sanity.

We made it on the road only about a half-hour behind schedule. We had dry weather, which was nice- I hate loading up a car when it’s raining and/or snowing. In addition our car has a tempermental attitude when it comes to defrost/heat and usually ends up sweating us out of the car whilst making a mess of the windshield. There is no happy medium.

I have to admit- I don’t mind a road trip in the beginning. The boys are all strapped in and as long as we have a movie they want to see going, I can stay sitting down and drinking my coffee.

roadtrip

And look! A castle! We saw many of these as well as pretty impressive churches along the way.

castle

Here I’d like to point out that the Germans (as most Europeans I am understanding) like to drive fast. Like really, really fast. I thought coming from the Detroit area I knew what fast driving was, but not so. I am still not sure if the posted speed limits are merely suggestions or the ‘law’ but there were quite a few cars that FLEW by us while we were going at least 130-140 km/hr. Basically the other drivers were going at least 100 mph- and I do mean at least.

road2

In the above photo you can see the speed lane limits that keep trucks in their place. 60kph is their max- which is so nice when you take into account the white knuckle driving that can be experienced driving up or down I-75 back in the states. If you’ve ever driven on spring break from Michigan- you know what I’m talking about.

Also, the roads are in amazing shape. My husband said that it’s from the restrictions on semi truck weight. We also discussed the possible conspiracy behind state governments purposely allowing the roads go to hell just to ensure jobs for people each spring and summer. I mean, the weather is the same in Germany as Michigan. How is it their roads are so much better?

Gotta pee? Get ready to pay to use the WC at every rest stop/restaurant/gas station along the way. Perk of that is a) they’re typically super clean and b) you get a discount ticket to use at that particular store/shop.

rest

After a few hours, we arrived in Frankfurt and to see the Senckenberg Museum. My guys are in the early stages of a dinosaur obsession and we found a blog which made the museum sound like an easy choice for a break. No Ordinary Homestead gives an extremely thorough and informative review here. I highly encourage you to check it out if you’re thinking of stopping in Frankfurt. Museum admission for adults was about $10, kids were free- so completely in the budget.

I mean, just look at all of this dinosaur awesomeness!

dinocoll

And this was just icing on the cake for my whale obsessed children…

seacoll

We made it back on the road a few hours later and headed toward our first hostel destination in Germany: Munich. The road getting there was not so kind as the weather got much, much worse. We encountered icy and wet road conditions once we hit Munich which was about the same point we lost the boys good behavior window. Why is that always the case? There we were, in the dark, driving on ice and snow in a foreign country (without the required snow tires/chains/emergency reflector vests) and out of washer fluid.

We did eventually make it to our destination around 7pm and the adventure continues there…

Have you ever been on a road trip in Germany? Where did you go? What did you see?

1 Danielle March 31, 2013 at 11:16 am

Such an amazing experience for your children. You have three little world travelers.

2 farrah April 1, 2013 at 6:08 am

I just want them to remember this… my fear is that they won’t, which is probable since they’re so young. 🙁

3 AmyH March 31, 2013 at 11:48 am

I loved castles in Germany! Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip. I’m jealous of all the places in driving distance!!

4 farrah April 1, 2013 at 6:09 am

Really, NL is ideally situated for driving! I just wish I didn’t hate our car so much 🙂

5 Kim@Co-Pilot Mom March 31, 2013 at 12:15 pm

I have never been to Germany (or mainland Europe, for that matter) but would love to go one day. My boys would have absolutely loved that museum – oh, the dinosaur adventure!

6 farrah April 1, 2013 at 6:11 am

It’s really fun to watch them go through this dinosaur phase- the great thing about being here is that museums are SO inexpensive and kids are free. Not at all what we’re used to paying for entry in the states. We could take the boys every day on our NL museum card that was 120 euros for the family- for a YEAR and is good in any museum here. I mean, that’s crazy!

7 Solon March 31, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Only have time for a couple of quick comments. Looks like the trip was great fun. Brody is looking more and more like you every day. Ice cream looked scrumptious. How did Chase do as Navigator. He looked like he was fully aware of what he was looking at. Can’t wait to start doing some traveling with our Babies, that is, once I quit “having” them. We definitely decided that five is enough.

8 farrah April 1, 2013 at 6:12 am

I can’t believe you’re done. Nope. I still see one more to come 🙂
Chase really did look like he knew where he was going- didn’t he 🙂

and thank you for the compliment with Brody. I love that he looks like me or vice versa.

9 CK April 1, 2013 at 2:21 am

Germany is the one country in which my husband out right refuses to take a train and insists on renting a car… so he can go zoom zoom on the autobahn! 🙂

10 farrah April 1, 2013 at 6:13 am

I can see why! I also noticed that the cars of choice were of the station wagon variety which I found interesting. It has me really, really wanting a station wagon when we come back 🙂

11 Christie Tate April 1, 2013 at 1:58 pm

I love Munich. I took a bike tour and hung out in some gardens. Was great! Looks like you had fun!

12 Elizabeth April 1, 2013 at 7:11 pm

When we first moved to Germany, I drove around 120 kmh on the Autobahn and it felt like I was flat out flying. Then, I gradually creeped up to 140. Now, I’m going 180 without blinking an eye. That’s 111 mph! If you had told me last year that this year I’d just be zipping along at 111 mph, I’d have never believed it. All I know is that any car I drive in the states from now on must have cruise control. Can you imagine how frustrated I’m going to get on I-85 this summer?

13 Linda Boge April 8, 2013 at 5:49 pm

I’ve ben to Germany a fem times, but ever no a rad trip. I love the country, and this summer I’m going om a road trip for 10 days together with my 6-year old daughter. We’re from Norway, so we’re taking a speed boat to Danmark and drive though. Our first stop is Hamburg, then we’re going to Karlsruhe, Augsburg and last Spreewald, a countryside one hour south of Berlin. Augsburg is going to be our base for trips to Gunzburg, Munich, Fussen (Neuschwanstein castle) and The Boden Lake on the border to Switzerland. And Spreewald will be our base for trips to Berlin and Dresden. I can’t wait!!

I have previously been to Hildesheim, Berlin, Cologne, Hamburg and the flower Island, Mainau. I have loved every one of those places, and especially love Berlin,,