Code Red: Pacifier Lost

by farrah on May 6, 2013 · 20 comments

C is my child with the strongest pacifier attachment I have ever known. It’s intense. And we’ve tried to break the twins of this habit many, many times. We finally hit a compromising point where they only use them during naps and at night- AND they do not come out of their bedroom. So that plan was really working well until last night and all hell broke loose.

We had an awesome weekend. Weather was perfect, we got some cool stuff for the yard and just finished steak on the barbie for dinner. Boys had been outside all day and we knew we might actually get them to bed early without issue. Woo hoo! Right? Yeah. No.

As boys will do when given the freedom to play outside for an entire day barefoot- they had gotten filthy dirty. Hubs and I sat on our swing watching them play some made up game and commented on the fact that they needed a good bath before bed. At 7pm we were going to take them upstairs and ‘start the process’.

The bath was a success! Things were good! We were ahead of schedule and I could tell the air was ripe with children sleeping early.

Kid 1: out of the tub, pjs on. Kid 2: out of the tub, pjs on. Kid 3: out of the tub pjs on.. now.. pacis? Where were those darned things. Oh! Here’s one! One.

So went the next TWO HOURS of our night. We looked everywhere. Somehow we got B to bed- and L was perfectly content as he had his paci and wanted to go to sleep too, but with his roommate screaming hysterically over the missing paci that was not going to happen. We kept looking. We took turns looking and trying to console him. At about 9pm I told my hubs just go- drive somewhere and buy a new one.

Well sweetie- where do you think you live? The good ‘ol US of A where you can find stores open on a Sunday night? On a holiday for that matter? HA. I sit here and talk about how much I love it here (and I do) but OH MY GOD DO I MISS HAVING STORES OPEN ON SUNDAYS.

Absolutely NOTHING under the sun will be open here on a Sunday night. My husband went to a gas station and begged the attendant to tell him where to go- but alas, nothing was going to be open.

And they’re not kidding. No CVS, no Target here folks… N-O-T-H-I-N-G. We’re lucky that the gas station was open.

This, my friends, is something I miss. I miss being able to run out for something in case of emergency (which we were clearly in the middle of having). Can you imagine living like this? It’s something any parent of babies or toddlers probably doesn’t want to imagine.

So the end of this story: Dad came home empty-handed and gave C a plastic lion which he told him would make him brave during the night. I think that in combination with the fact it was 10pm, pure exhaustion of the day + drama knocked him out because he freaking slept all the way through until 6:30am.

Pretty darn funny that I didn’t sleep since I was on edge waiting for him to wake up. Which he did not do. Of course.

Sigh. New parents: don’t ever get them started on the paci. Just don’t. They suck.

UPDATE: Our plan was to take this opportunity and just break them of it for good. Well, he just found it in the playroom so now that plan is out the window. I hate these things!!

1 Ann May 6, 2013 at 7:17 am

The stores-not-open-on-Sunday stresses me out to no end. I don’t know how people live this way, how I live this way! I hate to admit it, but now I always have stock of emergency items that I know I can’t get on Sundays. Like pacifiers.

We were able to break my son of pacis when we went to Berlin for a week and he was so exhausted he just fell asleep at the end of every day. When we came back here, we just stopped giving it to him. My daughter is pretty ambivalent most of the time, but I keep extras for the rare moment when nothing else works. I need to try to wean off of them just incase she gets more dependent once she hits one.

2 farrah May 6, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Isn’t it nuts! I get that it’s a total luxury for the most part- but it’s downright dangerous when you have kids. Ok. I might be exaggerating a little- but seriously- we were in CRISIS mode last night.

3 Ann May 7, 2013 at 10:46 am

It is dangerous! What if you formula feed and you run out of food. I always stocked more than enough food, but sometimes accidents happen. We have stores open on Sundays at our train station, but they’re usually closed by 8:30 or 9.

4 Katie E May 6, 2013 at 10:03 am

I hate the paci too. I wish we’d never started our boy on it. I don’t think we’ll ever be rid of it. It’s restricted to the bedroom here too. Last week I put it in my pocket one morning after he got to work and apparently forgot to take it OUT of my pocket before I left – we don’t have a lot of spare pacis right now because we decided we just need to quit them soon so we haven’t bought more. My husband was not happy when he called me about the paci in my pocket at work when nap time rolled around. Apparently he found one more in the house somewhere, but it was a close call. I can’t imagine not having an emergency store run option! Glad you found it. Sort of. Even though it might have been nice to break him of the habit ๐Ÿ™‚

5 farrah May 6, 2013 at 1:53 pm

My husband would NEVER do that. He knows that phone call is one he does not want to receive ๐Ÿ™‚ Oh man. These things are the worst!!!

6 Joy May 6, 2013 at 10:47 am

Oh man- so timely! We are in same boat, and just spent another lovely overnight with many wake ups. So we are definitely in negotiation to pull ours from rotation … especially since Bump will be along in a few weeks, and we want to free them up, as it were. I don’t want to let him have them for as long as Ari has though… We just use for naps and bedtime, but they sure do cause a lot of trouble. Ari wakes up screaming for Ice Cream! Apple Cider! And then once he realizes how unrealistic those demands are, settles for the “booteh” ( don’t ask…we dunno ). So what do we do? Just yank them cold?

7 farrah May 6, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Not sure. Really totally clueless over here. My only suggestion is to build a time machine, go back 2.5 years and never give them to them in the first place ๐Ÿ™‚

8 Leighann May 6, 2013 at 1:50 pm

my daughter is stuck on hers and calls it her “meme”. She loves it and remarks that it’s her best friend.
I want it gone.
So bad.
I can feel what you are feeling!

9 farrah May 6, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Her bff! Gah! That takes it to a whole new level and I think that’s how C feels about his too. I mean- how can you take away a child’s BFF?!?!

10 Jennifer Gehres May 6, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Here’s one to make you feel better. Fisher is a paci addict. He calls it a “Na-nee” He just turned five. He still has one that he tucks under his pillow every morning and takes out at bedtime. He wears it like a ring and puts it in and out of his mouth until he falls asleep. He’s only had one left for like two years. It is slit on both sides, so it is flat and I have to boil it every few days cause I’m sure it is a breeding ground for bacteria. After Fish falls asleep (which takes about 1 minute tops), the paci stays on his finger most of the night, and he tucks it back under the pillow in the morning.
I missed my window. I should have taken it away when he was three like I did with avery. He just loved it so much. It broke my heart to think of taking it away. Now, I don’t even care. I secretly smile at the look on people’s faces when I say Fisher still has it. Because I just don’t care. He falls asleep in one minute and sleeps 12 uninterrupted hours every night… I love my sleep. I love that na-nee. He can take it to college for all I care. ๐Ÿ™‚

11 farrah May 7, 2013 at 5:32 am

I completely agree! If it works, why fix it? That’s how I feel about the twins and their blankies. BUT- where we have the issue with the paci is that it’s a huge night disturbance. They frequently misplace them in the middle of the night and wake up- and in turn wake up the whole house. I am OVER that.

And I had to laugh at you boiling it every few days. The things we do…

12 Joy May 7, 2013 at 10:21 am

That’s exactly where we are too… Over the many wake ups overnight! It’s a downright struggle.

13 Solon May 6, 2013 at 11:45 pm

Indy quit the paci and bottle, cold turkey at 13 months, not our idea she just did it. Jack and Lily both still use them but they are already starting to show signs of quitting. We will have two new “paci-people” here in another 58 days. I truly think early sippy cup use tends to cut the sucking habit earlier and drinking from a glass without the “sippy” part of the cup is even better. Hope you solve the paci problem soon, or else buy stock in a Pacifier company.

14 farrah May 7, 2013 at 5:33 am

No kidding. I am still just amazed at how B refused it completely and his brothers are such opposites. Weird.

15 Christie May 8, 2013 at 7:00 pm

OMG, the sheer pain of this makes me ache.

16 Danielle May 10, 2013 at 12:53 am

Whew! I never realized how lucky I was that neither one of my girls took a pacifier until I started reading all your posts. Yikes, it is tough. My second is a thumb sucker though. Right now she is only six months, but I imagine it’ll be a hard habit to break. Then you’ll be hearing my woes. The up side is she can’t lose her thumb, down side I also can’t take it away from her.

17 farrah May 11, 2013 at 11:00 am

B never took to it either- isn’t that funny how kids can be so different?!

18 Lisa Barnum May 10, 2013 at 3:21 am

Out of my three, we had two paci kids and one thumb sucker. Our middle was the biggest paci addict. He was three and a half at Christmas time and we convinced him to leave it under the pillow for Santa to give to the babies who needed it and Santa would leave him a special gift in return. I never thought this would work, but I was willing to try anything. This kid was crazed and it was driving me crazy. Well I just couldn’t believe it when it actually WORKED! Maybe a few nights of him having trouble settling down but nothing like what I imagined. We talked about it for maybe a month beforehand and I have to say I am loving the non-paci like. However…what do I do with the thumb of my youngest…can’t give that one up to Santa ๐Ÿ˜‰

19 farrah May 11, 2013 at 11:01 am

I am hoping that if we are still on it at Christmas (just over 3) we can do that. We weren’t ready this past Christmas and I am really hoping that works. B did the finger sucking thing (which totally grossed me out) and grew out of it fairly recently. Yeah- not sure which is worse or better!

20 Robbie May 25, 2013 at 4:30 pm

When we first moved to Oklahoma stores weren’t open until 1:00 on Sundays. It was really weird. We were told it was because we now lived in the buckle of the Bible belt and ppl should be at church not out shopping.