The Internet Gone Wild

by farrah on June 22, 2013 · 14 comments

I think the internet’s gone crazy in the past week. Well, maybe a little more crazy than normal.

I get bits and pieces from Twitter and FB telling me what’s up- but I still do not watch news, or morning shows, etc. so for the most part am out of the loop. Since I feel like my brain is going to explode- I want to jot down for posterity’s sake the crazy crap that I heard about this week (chances are you have too)…an unwitting victim...bwahahhahahaa

1. This morning I woke up to the breaking news that Paula Deen was let go from the Food Network for using the N word. I don’t know the circumstances- and my opinion on it doesn’t matter, but what I have to ask is WTF were you thinking, Paula?

2. The whole North by Kanye/Kimmy West deal. I mean really. Personally I like the name North- and I think the fact that they used it is kind of a no brainer considering the narcissistic personalities that they are. So who cares? What made my stomach churn were some of the comments I saw on other FB posts by groups like HuffPo parents. The things people were saying were a million times worse than any baby name in the world.

3. This whole brew-ha-ha about a how a travel blogger got his entire concept stolen by a major corporation. For years he worked on his idea- only to have it stolen out from under him. There are numerous creepy details about how slimy they were- but two things that stand out to me are that 1) they used a doppelgänger of sorts of the guy they stole everything from in their version of his video and 2) this is supposedly a company to help empower youth in the job market. Huh. So what are the values we teach these days anyhow? (read this story. it’s nuts!)

4. I briefly saw some crazy crap with Mommy Short’s latest contest and someone was crying ‘scandal’ regarding the epic baby hair contest. yes. You read that correctly. Scandal in the baby hair contest.

And lastly

5. On a high note: I saw this post about a young 3-year-old child, born deaf- able to hear for the first time with the help from an eardrum transplant. I was just blown away at the thought. Wow.

What crazy stuff did you see this week?

1 Becca June 22, 2013 at 10:43 am

The North thing may be a hoax. Have also read that the baby’s name is Kaidence Donda West. Donda after Kanye’s mom. I guess only time will tell.

2 farrah June 23, 2013 at 5:41 am

I did hear that about Donda. And what made me really sad was how rude people were being about it- it’s like, dude. That was his mom’s name. Have some grace about yourself!

3 Loren June 22, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Hi Farrah:

I love your site and the way that you write! You have an excellent sense of humor and it really comes out in your writing. I think very much the same on all of the Internet issues you mention above. Did you see Suri’s Burn Book note on Kimye’s baby name? If not, you have to check it out: http://bit.ly/16TrRog

Anyway, we are an American expat family as well, but living in Bangkok, Thailand. My husband is from Grand Rapids (I see you are also Michiganders) and I’m from Florida. Love seeing your experiences in the Netherlands and throughout Europe.

Thanks again for a very funny post!

4 farrah June 23, 2013 at 5:45 am

Ha! Oh I haven’t seen that yet. I think I might have to start following her on Twitter.

So glad that you found me 🙂 So what do you think of Bangkok! Sometimes I feel like I’m cheating at this whole expat thing since I can still get by with a little English here and there- but in Thailand you’re really in it. Go you! And yep- hubs and I are both from just outside of Ann Arbor. Seems us Michigan people like to travel 🙂
Thanks for the kind words and for popping in!

5 Kerstin @ Auer Life June 22, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Just wow. I did hear about all those things, but I don’t give it too much thought, otherwise I would have to cancel all my Internet stuff and never interact with anything/anyone again. There is just too much crazy shit out there!
One thing though: Paula Deen has always creeped me out. When I see her airbrushed face on a magazine cover I always have to think of the episode of Oprah’s Next Chapter when Oprah went and visited her. Back when I watched that I already asked myself whether Paula would secretly want Oprah to work as her groundskeeper, because that’s how she was acting…. Creepy.

6 farrah June 23, 2013 at 5:47 am

That’s funny- especially how you had that vibe from her all those years ago. I just do NOT understand how celebs don’t think stuff like this is going to catch up with them. Somewhere, somehow it’s all going to come out. You trade your privacy to have the adoration of the masses.
And yeah- why is she always so air brushed>! Sheesh!
related- I am assuming no more Today Show appearances for her!

7 Leigh Ann June 22, 2013 at 2:44 pm

It doesn’t take much to start a sh*tstorm. But that poor travel blogger. I can only imagine how violating that feels.

8 farrah June 23, 2013 at 5:47 am

Sadly I do believe you are right!

9 outlawmama June 23, 2013 at 11:26 am

That Paula deen thing is messed up.

10 farrah June 24, 2013 at 5:31 am

No kidding!

11 Leighann June 23, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Love your opinion on the kanye baby issue. Who cares.

12 farrah June 24, 2013 at 5:32 am

Basically all they want is attention. ALL.THEY.WANT. And yet we still give it to them. Sigh.

13 Kristen June 24, 2013 at 12:04 am

North West? Are you kidding me? If we named our kid that they would be teased. I hope that it is just a joke. It’s not even cute…especially for a little girl.

And Paula Deen, holy shnikes! How awful that she used that word.

14 farrah June 24, 2013 at 5:33 am

I still haven’t read the whole story on that but yeah- I wonder sometimes if celebs really do think they’re so above the rest of us that they have a different moral code?