So You’re Gonna Be On TV… House Hunters International Debut!

by farrah on July 11, 2013 · 30 comments

spEpisode_house-hunters-international_s602x60

What do I even say? This whole thing is hilarious.

Almost a year ago now we filmed the back story for this episode that’s airing tonight. Additionally- it was around 9 months ago that they filmed us here. So much has changed in that time, not just the physical aspect of our home- but we have changed too. I mean come on- my kid speaks more Dutch than English these days!

DSC_0424

Us! Last winter. We’ve since mastered drinking apple juice from a glass bottle.

I wish there was a way to slow down time and experience it outside of your head it when it’s an event you want to remember but are pretty sure you’re at your mental capacity for overload at the moment. Such was the instance of our filming this crazy House Hunters. I was such a ball of stress and emotions whilst moving (the back story) that I actually (spoiler) do cry. I mean GIVE ME A BREAK! I am such a clichΓ©. I cry on a reality show. Hold me while I go find the eyeballs that I just rolled out of my head.

As for the state of self during the actual ‘hunt’ here- I was again- (surprise!) a ball of stress. I’m pretty sure I’m crabby and irritable since filming was pretty intense: 12 hours Friday, 12 hours Saturday and around 10 hours Sunday. Not to mention our air freight had arrived THE DAY they started filming and (so as I don’t ruin it for you) oh what we went through Friday. You won’t believe it.

And The Oscar Goes To…

And that brings me to my THANK YOUs for the people who helped us do this crazy thing— do I sound like I am accepting an academy award or what?— But for real, there ARE people who helped and we want to thank:

My friend Amy who told me that they were casting. Without her we never would have done this. It is still ‘to be determined’ if that’s a good thing or a bad thing.

Heather & Jonathan for taking the boys and dogs to their house ALL DAY while we filmed in our old house. It was hard enough for me to string a coherent sentence together during the interview segments, I can’t imagine if the boys were there.

The dogs in our neighborhood. I have no idea what was in the air that morning- but not one of you peeped during our filming in the back yard. Seriously? All I had to do was get a film crew there and y’all would be silent on a Saturday morning? I wish I had known that sooner.

The awesome team at P&D Pendcare! Not only are you ladies our awesome relo company- (a liaison that worked with us and my husband’s company to ensure a smooth move) but you went beyond (and I do mean beyond BEYOND) the call of duty to participate in this with us. Anouk is our ‘agent’ in the episode πŸ™‚

Our Wonderful, Heaven Sent From Above, Glorious, Child Wrangler: Suzanne. Suzanne materialized into our lives and is the best sitter here we could ask for. She had just met us and agreed to take the boys for the entirety of the weekend’s shooting. That’s almost 3 12 hour days of boys gone wild.

And lastly, all of you crazy friends and family which have been sharing their DVR recording screens with me on FB, Instagram and Twitter. If anything- I really hope that you get a good, hard laugh at all of this because omg it’s going to be so embarrassing.

So still not sure how we’re going to watch it. We’re hoping the Slingbox is working so we can dial into the 7:30am Friday morning (our time) airing. If that doesn’t work: they are mailing us a DVD a few weeks after it airs. So I will just have to wait.

Should I do a reaction? I mean, how big of a narcissist can I be with all of this? How about if you have a question you ask it here and I can answer in the comments. Additionally if there’s something that really bothers me about the show I’ll just comment here about it. I mean seriously. The horse is dead and my 15 minutes are over.

Gah!

Tell me what you think! Was it was bad as I feared? Are you here to rip me apart for being a ‘spoiled American’, a horrible mother or just a HHI stalker? Go ahead. I can take it.

PS- I’d also just like to note for the record that I’m about 10 pounds lighter since filming.

Ahem.

1 ebe porter July 11, 2013 at 10:20 am

Congratulations! We got to do the show last year and I completely agree with your assessment of “hilarious”. Hope you enjoy your episode – we thought ours came off much better than we presented ourselves.

2 farrah July 11, 2013 at 10:26 am

Thanks Ebe! I guess when you take into account the number of hours they taps vs. how much is shown you gotta HOPE they help you out, right? At least that’s my hope. Glad you guys had fun too! πŸ™‚ Thanks for stopping in.

3 Joy July 11, 2013 at 11:08 am

So is it airing in the states today- the 11th? I love that show! I’d love even
More to see you on it!

4 farrah July 11, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Yep- tonight!! xoxo

5 Colleen @The Family Pants July 11, 2013 at 1:35 pm

There are not a lot of times that i get super sad that we don’t have cable. But UGH!!! I am so super sad that we don’t have cable!! WAH!!!! I wanna see!

What a cool cool thing, mama. And if anyone comes here and gives you any kind of grief, I will cut them. xoxoxo

6 farrah July 11, 2013 at 3:32 pm

What’s funny is we didn’t have it either in the states- I had only seen the show a time or two and didn’t really get it. A friend said they were casting. I have heard you can see it online- so never fear. And hey- I’m not sure that I can see it either so you’re in good company.

And thank you. Yes, please bring your shank!

7 julie gardner July 11, 2013 at 2:45 pm

I am obsessed with HHI – so now I’ll have even more reason to watch tonight.

And no matter how they edited your taping, let me tell you I already think you’re brave as hell.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you…

8 farrah July 11, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Thanks Julie! A seasoned viewer knows what to expect I’m sure. I think my ‘omg the bathroom is soooo tiny’ is ‘omg the stairs are crazy’.

9 Jen July 11, 2013 at 4:42 pm

I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE IT!!!

10 farrah July 12, 2013 at 7:50 am

Hope we didn’t let you down!

11 Elizabeth July 11, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Okay….one more time now-what are the episode times? I am sorry I can’t seem to keep that in my head!

12 farrah July 12, 2013 at 7:51 pm

You got it πŸ˜‰

13 Andrea, Passports And Pushchairs July 11, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Can’t wait to see it!

14 Greta July 11, 2013 at 10:37 pm

I remember those days of you talking about filming well, and was just thinking a couple of days ago that I wondered when they’d air it. It’s set to record….as long as you’re the “couple wanting to teach your children European culture.” Can’t wait to see it!

15 farrah July 12, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Yes! That was such a crazy time. Did you catch it??

16 Rach (DonutsMama) July 12, 2013 at 2:46 am

I’m watching right now and you look fabulous! I’m loving hearing your voice and watching the episode. I can’t believe how long you had to film though for barely 30 minutes. That’s crazy!

17 farrah July 12, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Isn’t it nuts!? Makes me really look at those kinds of shows differently now. They showed up with 1 director, 1 film guy and a sound guy. That’s it. They told me they have crews all over filming constantly. It’s a huge business! And thank you πŸ™‚

18 JMAC July 12, 2013 at 4:09 am

As a follower of your blog since my twins were born last year it was great fun watching you and your family on HHI. Your village is beautiful! Of course as soon as they showed the stove at house no 2 I knew that was the one you ended up with! I remember your posts about it. You looked great and I am still so impressed that you took on the opportunity and challenge of moving your family overseas!

19 farrah July 12, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Thank you so much πŸ™‚ And yep- I couldn’t help but give some of the stuff away here, it was all so crazy new at the time. Thanks so much for hanging in there with me- funny huh how now you’re a year in- isn’t that nuts? They grow so much so fast!

20 Amy July 12, 2013 at 6:06 am

You are living my dream. Seriously. I thought the show was great, your choice was great, and now my travel itch is turning into a full-on rash. Such a cool experience for you all! Good for you for doing it.

21 farrah July 12, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Thanks Amy! We’re really digging it. I feel like we’re really lucky finding a place that welcomed us so well and if I had my way everyone would do this. Especially with kids! I say you might need to scratch that itch πŸ™‚

22 Melissa July 12, 2013 at 12:03 pm

BRAVO!!! It was awesome. You were great, your husband was great and the boys were so darn cute. Absolutely nothing to be embarassed about. I always imagine that we’ll be on an episode of HHI when we move only we’ll be that couple that quarrel the entire time! Congrats!
xM
PS does this mean you’re a reality TV star? Kind of, right πŸ˜‰

23 farrah July 12, 2013 at 7:56 pm

LOL! Thanks, but I think our days of that crazy are over! Keep an eye on their FB page, that’s how my friend told me they were casting. I’d love to see you on it. Then I can say that I know a reality star!!

24 Leighann July 12, 2013 at 6:46 pm

How exciting for you to be on such a great show. So proud of you.

25 farrah July 12, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Thank you my friend! I’m hoping in the years to come this will be something special for us to look back on together.

26 Heather July 12, 2013 at 11:21 pm

You are so welcome. Miss you guys. I am so glad that you all had this opportunity to do HHI and have the chance to live in an awesome place!

27 Jane November 8, 2013 at 2:54 am

After viewing a recent episode of HHI I just had to leave a comment. In the episode a couple was looking for a home in Osaki, Japan. After seeing one house in the city of Osaki the realtor took the couple to a house outside of town. ( a guess it would be considered a suburb) The couple weren’t very pleased that the house was out of the city. That’s when the realtor said,” I guess you could call the area the New Jersey of Osaki.” As a life long resident of New Jersey I was very unhappy. I’m sure the realtor has never been to New Jersey. I’m so tired of New Jersey jokes. Thanks for letting me vent.

28 farrah November 8, 2013 at 6:39 am

I totally get it Jane. I’m originally from Detroit- and as sad as that city has become the jokes about it are even worse. Thanks for taking the time to comment here!

29 lisa | renovating italy December 3, 2013 at 2:30 pm

we just did an episode and I feel like I’ve joined some kind of secret club lol xx
ciao lisa

30 farrah December 3, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Ha! It kind of is. I have been contacted by people that have been on it or going to be on it too πŸ™‚ I’m sure it was awesome. Any idea on the air date?