Today’s post is inspired by my friend who is traveling in France and has discovered a bed bug infestation. I started thinking how that’s one of my biggest traveling fears- so considering we aren’t going anywhere any time soon, what the heck: no worries on jinxing myself. Let’s write My Top 10 Travel Nightmares.
Besides the two obvious: death of one of our party and kidnapped/missing child, these are the ones that I try not to think about as we begin a journey. They aren’t in any particular order. They’re all pretty awful and their own circle of hell.
10. Someone gets sick. Most likely the vomit/diarrhea variety and everyone else gets it. Just. No. Please. Ever.
9. Our mode of transportation breaks down and we are stranded. Could be our car (yikes) or train. I won’t even go there with a plane crash.
8. We’re mugged/robbed and have no money or phones. This is much, much worse than just not being able to check in on Facebook.
7. The weather takes an awful turn. Ok, so Munich was pretty bad- but we stuck it out in the sleet/rain/snow and trudged on. In fact, it’s the one trip I look back on and think- If we could survive that trip without killing each other or freezing to death- we can do anything!
6. Bed bugs. Or any kind of parasite (as my friend Karen put it).
5. We get lost. So lost we cannot find our way home/hotel/landmark/etc. With the kids in tow I just cannot even imagine this.
4. We lose our passports. I picture awful things happening. Deportation, thrown in a black cell. Ragged clothing. Ugh. This one was from my friend N.
3. Lost bags. Maybe our luggage is en route to Hawaii while we are headed to Sweden. Or like the time I lost all of the baby clothes on the freeway as it fell out of the roof rack. That was fun. I still can’t believe Grandma and Grandpa found everything. That’s actually a good story- read about it here.
2. Any kind of medical emergency other than just getting sick. If where we’re sick enough to need medical attention, or if we’ve been bitten by some animal/reptile/etc. I get the willies just thinking about this since we go to quite a few zoos. Ha!
1. We’re treated by other tourists/hotels/restaurants/airlines like third class citizens because we’re traveling with our children. This sticks in my craw and is the most likely to happen (and has) unfortunately.
What are your top travel nightmares? Have you had any of these happen and how did you deal with them?
*Update: So my friend has since been blamed for BRINGING IN the bed bugs- although she just said the other day (on Facebook) how she noticed bites (after arriving). The hotel is proving to be useless in their assistance, refusing to launder her clothes and merely offered another room. She had to go out and buy new things to wear since her work trip is another 4 days. I feel so sorry for her- I could scream. On top of all of this, the hotel manager called the office she was working at to vent HIS frustrations at her ‘bringing in the bugs’. From Texas. Uh huh.