Ok, We’re Good Here- Malta, See You Soon!

by farrah on November 13, 2013 · 28 comments

My husband arrived home safe and sound yesterday- and of course the boys were overjoyed. I was so excited that I passed out around 8pm from sheer exhaustion. I suppose nothing says ‘Welcome home, honey!’ like a wife too tired to even have a conversation with you once the kids go to bed.

He brought home all kinds of treats- most importantly the long-sleeved shirts and pajamas that I asked my mom and sister to pick up for the kids. One thing that I really miss in these here parts is a place to get inexpensive clothing. He had a gazillion shirts from Target and a few outfits from Marshalls that will do nicely and possibly get us through the winter. Of course there’s also all of the ingredients for the meth lab cold supply closet, and my hope is that we’re so prepared that none of us gets sick this year. Ha, ok, so that’s wishful dreaming, but at least I have some cough stuff for the boys which apparently is an unheard of thing for kids.

MamaGetaway to Malta!

photo 2aaf29f7-21f6-4cd4-8406-cb5afe1da589.jpgPhoto by Sammy Baines

So with all of that, I am tying up my loose ends and planning for my MamaGetaway to Malta on Saturday. I can’t believe that it’s already here- I feel like it has been months and months of waiting, which in essesnce, it hasn’t. Just in case you think I’m being a BraggyMcBraggerson about my trip: I’ll have you know that the weather there has been so rough I’m actually a little concerned that we’ll fly in ok. There has been flooding and constant rain.

photo 17a56c62-4ee9-4bfe-956e-8d9cae4d2843.jpgPhoto by Martina Mueller

I’d be lying though if I said that the idea of rain has dampened our spirits. My friend Ace and I have been looking forward to this escape while watching the weather cautiously- but not with too much concern. We weren’t going for a beach vacation- we really want to explore this city and see what it’s all about.

So where is Malta, anyhow? Well, that little island off  the boot tip of Italy. The winds coming from Africa are one influence on their weather– so if that doesn’t make it sound exotic and far away, I don’t know what does. It’s about two hours by plane, and the flight cost around €100. Once again I am reminded how unfairly expensive air travel is in the States.

Screen Shot 2013-11-13 at 9.14.29 AMMap via Google Maps.

I’ve never been to the country of Malta- and it sounds like there is going to be more than enough for us to do while we’re there, including get some great pictures at night and even during the expected storms.

photo eee29960-8fa2-43b3-8385-6ce618c15715.jpgPhoto by Kris Micallef

Here’s a few historical facts really quick from the Visit Malta website:

• The history of Malta is a long and colourful one dating back to the dawn of civilisation.
  • The Maltese Islands went through a golden Neolithic period, the remains of which are the mysterious temples dedicated to the goddess of fertility. Later on, the Phoenicians, the Carthaginians, the Romansand the Byzantines, all left their traces on the Islands.
  • In 60 A.D. St. Paul was shipwrecked on the island while on his way to Rome and brought Christianity to Malta.
  • Until 1530 Malta was an extension of Sicily: The Normans, the Aragonese and other conquerors who ruled over Sicily also governed the Maltese Islands.
  • It was Charles V who bequeathed Malta to theSovereign Military Order of St. John of Jerusalem who ruled over Malta from 1530 to 1798.
  • The artistic and cultural lives of the Maltese Islands were injected with the presence of artists such as CaravaggioMattia Preti and Favray who were commissioned by the Knights to embellish churches, palaces and auberges.
  • In 1798, Napoleon Bonaparte took over Malta from the Knights on his way to Egypt..
  • Modern Malta became a Republic in 1974 and joined the European Union in May 2004.

Most of all I have been blown away by the photos that I’ve seen of this beautiful place. Without kids to worry about keeping happy- I think Ace and I should be able to explore from sun up to sun down and beyond. Maybe enjoy a really long and uninterrupted dinner. Possibly sleep in three mornings. Basically live like queens. You know, what we all deserve but so rarely ever receive.

photo 191a1d0e-3423-47a9-a1b2-bac55e666a77.jpgPhoto by La Adventura de Malta

I hope you’ll follow along with us on Twitter and Instagram. We’re using the hashtag #luxmomsgetaway since we’re staying at the lovely Hotel Phoenicia, and if you ask me, that makes it pretty fancy. I even have some super awesome travel clothing to try out from Anatomie. Talk about excited!

The photos on the Malta Weather Facebook page have been absolutely stunning, and where I have grabbed all of these photos. Credit given to each photographer in caption.

My full review of the Hotel Phoenicia and girlfriend getaway to Malta will be coming soon on Travel Mamas.

1 Chamisa November 13, 2013 at 10:03 am

We always stock up on kids clothes in the US, too! Ha, meth lab.. so true.. 🙂 Enjoy Malta!

2 farrah November 13, 2013 at 11:45 am

Thanks Chamisa! Socks are a big one I find that we need to stock up on. They’re so expensive!

3 Ann November 13, 2013 at 10:19 am

Um, yeah, Malta looks cool and hopefully the weather will be just the perfect amount of rain so you don’t feel like you should be on the beach, but you have every reason to duck in to shops and cafes to enjoy the things you can’t normally enjoy when traveling with kids.

Have fun. Wish I was there!

4 farrah November 13, 2013 at 11:45 am

As usual, great way to look at it and excellent point. I wouldn’t want to be tempted since it’s clearly too chilly for that 🙂
Next trip. You’re coming.

5 Ellen November 13, 2013 at 10:59 am

The shop “Action” has some inexpencive clothes (al least to my standards…) mostly underwear, shirts and socks etc.

And have lots of fun in Malta!

groeten, Ellen

6 farrah November 13, 2013 at 11:46 am

Thanks Ellen!
And I’m going to check that out- thanks for the tip!

7 Ellen November 13, 2013 at 1:39 pm

oh and if you don’t mind second hand: look for “kinderkledingbeurs” Sometimes a local peuterspeelzaal or something like that organises a market where mothers can sell their children’s clothes.

groeten, Ellen

8 Ellen November 13, 2013 at 1:46 pm
9 Ann November 13, 2013 at 11:15 am

Oh, you should come to visit – we have a TKMaxx here. And a Primark.

10 farrah November 13, 2013 at 11:47 am

I love it. I saw a TKMaxx in Cologne and was very confused.

11 Ace November 13, 2013 at 11:37 am

Glad the Mr is back safe – I bet the boys were really jazzed up to see him. The American “goodies” are nice to have, too!

Also – YAY! T-minus 3 days!
And I saw today that Saturday and Sunday may have sun shining!

12 farrah November 13, 2013 at 11:46 am

Sun?! You mean that big bright thing in the sky here?? Ohhh! 🙂

13 Leighann November 13, 2013 at 2:02 pm

sounds like a great time! I am excited for you!!

14 farrah November 14, 2013 at 7:48 am

Thanks! I can’t wait!

15 Theresa November 13, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Have a great trip! Slightly green with envy but you’re two kids up on me so I figure I should wait my turn plus no partner in crime (yet)

Anyways, my husband went to Malta on a whim a few years back and he still raves about it! He’s a history “nerd” but he said even I!!! Would like it…. Still trying to figure out what THAT means.

Ryan has had the most frustrating cough for…ever. What do you use from back home to help suppress it. My mom just sent me a big box of Motrin and Advil but I’m thinking my next smuggle should be some cough syrup!

16 farrah November 14, 2013 at 7:55 am

Ha- sounds like he needs to take you there 🙂
And I’m always taking recruits on a new mission. I’m still dreaming of a trip to Morocco sometime in the future. You’re more than welcome to join!

As for the cough- how old is your little one? When the twins were babies (and even still now) there’s no oral medicine safe. Put Vick’s on their feet at night and make them wear socks. I STILL do that for them when the coughing is really bad. Sometimes it helps, somteimes not. I also use a humidifier and sprinkle eucalyptus oil on the other side of their pillow (no stains).

If he’s pushing 3 + I am all over the cough medicine. Technically they shouldn’t use it until 4+ – but I half the dose. The magic med for us is Muscinex Cough & Congestion. I would give 2.5 ml instead of the 5ml dose during the day once to see how they take it (side effects). If all is good, I give 1 dose at night right before bed.

I did have my husband pick up some Hyland’s Natural Nighttime Cough that we’re going to try on the next round. C is prone to croup and always gets the coughs the worst- so I will try anything.

Good luck . And not that I am nowhere near being a medical professional- what I do for my kids is strictly based on what I feel is ok for them. (disclaimer:)

17 Theresa November 15, 2013 at 12:33 pm

No worries, I thought maybe there was some magical American cough syrup I didn’t know about. He’s only 27 months so will have to wait a while. I’ll definitely be trying the Vicks and humidifier (Vicks on the feet? Amazing!)

The coughs are the worst, and naturally at night. Hearing the “hack hack” and just waiting for the whimpering to start 🙁 poor dears.

I’d def be up for a journey to Morocco someday. I’ve also heard pretty amazing things about Tunisia…see if any of the Arabic I learned living in Dubai stuck 😉

18 Mrs. Chasing the Donkey November 13, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Yes, I hear you on the cheap clothes front. We need Target in the EU ASAP.
Have a wonderful time away, I’ll be watching on IG and dying with jealosy.

19 farrah November 14, 2013 at 7:56 am

Hey! Let’s open one! We’d be millionaires!!!

Next time you need to come.

20 Amy November 13, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Yay for you! Have a fabulous time! I’ll try to contain my envy and can’t wait to see the photos.

21 farrah November 14, 2013 at 7:56 am

Thanks Amy!

22 Julia November 14, 2013 at 3:10 am

Have fun!!!

23 farrah November 14, 2013 at 7:56 am

Thanks Julia!

24 Jen November 14, 2013 at 4:32 am

Love Malta, one of my very good friends is from there and she gave us a very extended tour when I was there for a convention once – it’s just beautiful. Also try to listen to some locals speaking Maltese, it’s the funniest language ever.

Have you not checked Hema for clothes? I used to buy a lot of Catie’s clothes there. Also H&M but I’m not sure how far away your nearest one is.

25 farrah November 14, 2013 at 7:58 am

Excellent tip- I’ll definitely try to find someone 🙂

Our Hema is TINY. And H&M is a bit far- clearly not as far as I used to drive for clothes- but farther than I go today. But yes- it’s not impossible- but man, ours in the US are so much CHEAPER. And I have to admit- I get a kick out of seeing B in such typical US clothing compared to his very Dutch styled counterparts (suspenders/fedoras/skinny jeans and all!)

26 Olga @The EuropeanMama November 15, 2013 at 7:51 am

Malta is my al-time favourite holiday destination! It is beautiful, so full of history, multilingual, they have great food, I love it!

27 Satu VW / Destination Unknown November 15, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Ah. Mama get away. I have to admit I’m “slightly” jealous! About half the year I’m home alone (or traveling) with the kids while my husband is abroad working so I think I really need this kind of thing soon! 🙂 I’ve never been to Malta either so really looking forward to your stories and picture from there!