Picture Day! Here’s Hoping They’re Better This Year

by farrah on November 1, 2013 · 10 comments

I just received an email from the school saying that they’re having picture day next week. I had to laugh, because our school photos last year were, uh, kind of strange. I was so excited when I learned that they were getting their pics done- it was going to be the twins’ first time (B had missed the ones at his school) so I took the time to plan their outfits carefully. I had sweet sweaters and waited with bated breath to see the proofs. I figured that school photos here would be just like school photos back home. When I opened up the website link and typed in my code this was not what I expected to see.

glareIs it legal to show pictures of pictures?

Do I need to point out the glowering gaze from L? Or the terrified look of C? What about the fact that they’re both missing their socks? And what the heck is up with those crazy poses?

I am not going to lie- when I first saw them I was laughing so hard tears were streaming down my face. In fact, I think I was cackling over how ridiculous they looked. I was not prepared to see something so incredibly funny.

Like any good mom, I decided to share them on FB and I just couldn’t help myself. The prices were so crazy that I wasn’t going to buy them (as awful as they were) so to document them for posterity I took a picture of the picture. And now these are all that I have. Sigh.

Oh but they are just too funny for words! If you need me I’ll be over in the corner giggling over what to expect this year.

Have you ever gotten back your school photos and been like ‘Who the heck are these kids?!’

Additionally: I’d like to thank the Outlaw Mama for her recent post School Picture Forms reminding me that I had these gems stowed away in my computer. Her post is really funny- and if you haven’t read her before you are in for one heck of a treat. She’s brilliant and is someone you need to add to you daily ‘must read’ list.

1 Susan D Crochet Addict UK November 1, 2013 at 8:55 am

My son’s smile is always awful. He looks like he is in pain. They usually do them after lunch so quite often has 1/2 his dinner on his face. Over here they were a uniform including a tie. It’s usually crooked and he looks scruffy. If it’s raining his hair has usually stuck up at the back. I still buy them as I also love laughing at them!

2 farrah November 1, 2013 at 9:22 am

Oh Susan! I’m so glad. I was wondering if I was the only one who had what appeared to be sociopaths for children in photos đŸ™‚ And yes- oh these really are priceless. I wish now I would have bought at least ONE.

3 Ellen November 1, 2013 at 11:26 am

ooh, they look really unhappy and uncertain! Schoolpictures are always awfull but I buy them anyway. And then (and only then ….) I’m glad that I have only one child because they are really expensive.

groetjes, Ellen

4 farrah November 1, 2013 at 11:54 am

đŸ™‚ I know- you feel obligated to buy them either way! The school has you on that one.

5 Ace November 1, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Oh man, those are some great photos, too funny. I love how in the picture of them holding hands it looks like they’re discussing whether or not to break for it.

6 Chamisa November 2, 2013 at 8:01 am

Maybe it is something about the way they do photos here (say, zero emphasis on a nice, bright smile), but we have the same problem with school pictures here. I was actually relieved when we missed it last year because we were in the US. The photos are horrible with the funkiest faces I have EVER seen, and same here – outrageously expensive. Unfortunately for me, we don’t have online proofs, so the teacher corners me, flashes the photos (“didn’t they turn out SO well?”) and insists I pay her about 631 euros right then and there, without really giving me the option to, well, opt out… because you know you can’t be one of THOSE parents who lets the teacher throw away photos of their kid…

7 Julia November 3, 2013 at 2:12 am

Oh my, I have to admit I may have giggled a lot. We have a picture of my son in our living room that he looks like a used car sales man, so I understand the feeling.

8 Mrs. Chasing the Donkey November 4, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Baahahahahaha thanks for the chuckle. Poor kids, this is now on the www. forever. I reckon in that one of them holding hands they are talking about what Mom will think of these… I hope this years lot are even funnier, er I mean better.

9 Amy November 4, 2013 at 8:34 pm

OMG those. are. priceless. The one in the bottom right corner looks like they are giving each other a ‘this photographer is crazy’ look. And the one lying on top of each other – what is that?!? Thank you for the laugh. So good.

10 Leighann November 5, 2013 at 1:37 pm

These are great! I can’t wait to see what this year brings!