Instagram Travel Thursday: Tea Ladies in Düsseldorf-Oberkassel, Germany

by farrah on December 19, 2013 · 23 comments

I hope you’re saying ‘What?’ because tea and me do not go together. Fine, precious china cups with delicate detail do not fit in with my life. I’m not even talking about with the boys- long before I had my trio of tornadoes I was (and still am) the biggest klutz that I know. So why on earth would I be talking about china?!

Fine china tea cupMy tea cup place setting. I love the pattern and colors.

Last weekend my lovely friend Ann invited me on a whim to a ‘ladies’ tea’ in Düsseldorf. I have never been to a tea before, but the idea of actually getting out of the house without my kids for a day sounded mighty appealing. My husband helped me navigate my train route and I was off.

A couple of hours later, I arrived in Düsseldorf where Ann showed me some of the Christmas markets. Oh sweet relief! These were so much better than the ones we saw in the NL (where I live, and LOVE the country- don’t get me wrong) and I felt some cheer creeping into my veins. We had a few hours until our tea date, so of course ate bratwurst, shopped and gaped at all of the fun and beautiful decorations.

Hanseat Hotel in Düsseldorf-OberkasselWindow at Hanseat Hotel where the tea was hosted

We found our way to the small hotel on the outskirt of the centrum easily enough- and walked in to see exactly what one would expect at a tea party: desserts, fine crockery and quaint table settings. We were each served a glass of champagne and relaxed while the other guests arrived. Interestingly enough- this was a group of ladies from all over the world: as few of the countries represented were Austrailia, Sweden, UK, US, and Germany.

Tea PartyOur table.

The Tea Ladies were very proud of their ‘crockery’ which was lovely! I remember my great-grandmother had teapots just like these. It was really nice to think how much she would have enjoyed this party and all of the fine details.

Tea party tea pots

They took care of the details, and made sure to provide traditional English desserts for the party. Everything looked so lovely it was almost a shame to disturb the buffet.

Tea Party dessertsThe delicious dessert table.

We had a fantastic time, and enjoyed some delicious treats and had some genuine adult conversation for once. Well, Ann and I did anyhow. The tea party itself had tables filled with laughter and fun chatter. Our table partners were not the most friendly girls I have ever met. We longingly looked over at the other table of moms and said to ourselves ‘Moms out on the town know how to have fun.’

Tea party treats

Our hostesses were the two lovely ladies from England seen here. They told us that their business started because their husbands were a little overwhelmed by their crockery collection. They started The Tea Ladies simply to host these parties and put their beautiful collections to work. We were informed that the origins of the traditional tea in the afternoon– were brought to England by Anna, the 7th Duchess of Bedford. Apparently she had the munchies in the middle of the day and thus, tea time was born.

The Tea LadiesThe Tea Ladies– photo via their FB page

Alas, my magical afternoon of breakable things within reach had to end and my rough and tumble crew needed me. I headed back to the train station laden with Christmas market goodies around 5pm and was in Oisterwijk by about 9:30. A very nice end to a wonderful day.

So here’s to trying new things! Who knew, I like tea parties with sweet treats and delicious teas? I’m really glad that I was able to see this side of Düsseldorf as well- my first time to the city has me excited to return.

Be sure to see Ann’s post here about the beautiful market we saw together too!

Have you ever been to a ‘real’ tea party?

Hop over to check out the rest of these great IG travel posts linked up from @HouseOfAnais, @ToDestinationUnknown and the lovely Skimbaco Lifestyle.

All photos taken by me (except as noted) with my iPhone.

1 Theresa December 19, 2013 at 7:53 am

If you ever need a Canadian rep I’m your gal! I’m more of a coffee gal but the food that accompanies tea is superior!

2 farrah December 19, 2013 at 7:59 am

Me too! I need coffee (like really really need it) but tea was a nice change. Something to enjoy- can’t say I really do that while slugging back the coffee with the small people needing to get ready for the day.
Good to know you’re on board 🙂 The food WAS wonderful!

3 Ann December 19, 2013 at 8:27 am

You were great company. And you fit right in to the role of tea-goer even though you’re a mom with 3 boys and prefer coffee.

By the way, from where I sat I could see the coffee machine and I kept thinking if it would be alright if I asked them to brew me a cup or two.

Can’t wait to hang out again soon!

4 farrah December 19, 2013 at 3:59 pm

I didn’t see that! Would it have been awkward for us to ask? Maybe so.

5 Mrs. Chasing the Donkey December 19, 2013 at 9:01 am

Man, I am so JEL! I love little sambos with the crusts cut off!
My best friend loves a tea party, and she has them at her house with fancy tea cup and teapots with all types of tea. I just go for the cakes and scones she makes 🙂

Stretan Bozic i Nova godina {Merry Christmas and Happy New year} from Croatia.

6 farrah December 19, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Thank you MCTD! And scones are to die for. I would eat them every day if someone would make some and bring them to me. Ha!

7 Satu VW December 19, 2013 at 11:27 am

I’m more used to drinking my tea from a mug, but now, a tea party with champagne, that I could do!! 🙂

8 farrah December 19, 2013 at 4:02 pm

It was rather nice- and since I wasn’t driving I was tempted to ask for a refill 🙂

9 Reeta @houseofanais December 19, 2013 at 11:35 am

Oh so lovely, especially the tea ladies picture. I am such a fan of afternoon tea, especially with champagne!

10 farrah December 19, 2013 at 4:02 pm

They were really very nice and love what they do. It’s fun to meet people like that!

11 Gayla December 19, 2013 at 12:16 pm

What a great way to spend a day. I would love to go to a real tea party. One with the fine china (even though I’m klutzy, too) and cute sandwiches. So lovely! Are those scones I see in the first photo? love scones!!

12 farrah December 19, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Me too- I love a good scone! They have them often there- you should check out their FB page (linked above) and try to go to one. That’s not too far from you and I was in Venlo connecting!

13 Leighann December 19, 2013 at 2:22 pm

This looks beautiful! I have my grandmothers tea set in my house and have never thought to use it. what an inspiration.

14 farrah December 19, 2013 at 4:04 pm

You’re so lucky!!! I have no idea what happened to mine. Well, I do, but it’s not worth the family drama to go asking after it 🙂

15 May December 19, 2013 at 5:12 pm

We love our afternoon tea here in London. I have just been to a couple of fantastic afternoon teas in London hotels. Your tea above looks equally as yummy.

16 farrah December 21, 2013 at 8:03 am

My hope is that at some point next year we can come to visit and I can experience a real afternoon tea in London- my great-grandma would be so proud!

17 Susan (@VibrantIreland) December 19, 2013 at 7:54 pm

What a lovely afternoon tea. I’ll take coffee in mine, thanks 🙂

18 farrah December 21, 2013 at 8:03 am

Hahaha! You would have fit in just fine with Ann and I. The scones were pretty incredible.

19 Leigh Powell Hines @Hinessightblog December 19, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Oh, I’m so glad you had a fantastic time. It’s all so beautiful. I loved seeing everything. Merry Christmas!

20 farrah December 21, 2013 at 8:04 am

It was great- thanks for your input. I knew you were the person to ask 🙂

21 Alison Chino December 20, 2013 at 9:34 pm

I would TOTALLY be up for this sort of tea party. Makes me want to find a little fancy place to take Mary Polly around here somewhere!

22 farrah December 21, 2013 at 8:04 am

I bet you can- if you can find one in Germany there has to be one where you are. It was a lot of fun.