Our Good News: The Expat Addiction

by farrah on January 30, 2014 · 54 comments

Well, hot on the heels home from our trip to Rome, I threw myself into planning several more trips in the coming months. Half of it being the high of just having had a successful family journey- and the other half being the sheer terror that we’re just not going to see all of the places that we want to see before our expat contract was up at the end of October. Because let’s be real here, shall we? We’d never spend this much time in Europe again with the kids. This is our one shot. Talk about pressure.

Netherlands Collage

That all said—- we’ve got some news. Some very, very, very good news on our end. I mentioned a while ago that our hopes were pinned on the fact that January would be the month we found out what’s happening next. Where we would go- if we would stay as expats, and so on. We flirted with a few ideas and a couple of leads, but the universe stepped in and has given us what we truly wanted all along: to stay right here in our very own village of Oisterwijk until (get this) 2017!

Holy cow, can you believe that?! I still can’t. But I am so so so excited, grateful and, well, relieved. We’ve struck gold with the school the boys attend- and when they’re happy- mama’s very happy. B’s Dutch is so good at this point that I would have hated to take it away from him in the US. The twins are coming along with theirs and- well- I did make a deal with myself that if we stayed I’d make a true effort in learning Dutch too.

So at this point, they will be 7 and 8 years old when we come back. I don’t know if anything blows my mind more than that.

I’ll have to get over my fear of flying back to the States with the boys for a visit or two- and we will continue to invite our family over to visit. Of course the Omas aren’t thrilled, but supportive. They know what this means to all of us, and most importantly for the boys.

I was bumming that my husband couldn’t run the Paris marathon this year due to a scheduling conflict, but looks like he’ll get another shot. The possibilities are endless and we’re pretty content. Additionally- we like the idea that we can slow down a bit. We want to enjoy traveling with the kids- not feel like we had to slam stuff in just to do it. This, in itself, is a relief.

It’s not all sunshine and rainbows though- we still don’t know if we can stay in this specific house since our landlord initially wanted to sell- so that’s still up in the air. Since my husband’s new position is with the same company, just in another town- we can stay in Oisterwijk and would look for a rental here if we do need to move. And coincidentally, our tenants back in SC are breaking the lease early. Minor headaches, but hey- what are a few bumps in the road?

So cheers, high-five, and a hip-hip-hooray! The friends I’ve made this side of the pond- we’ll be seeing you :)

1 Vanessa January 30, 2014 at 7:43 am

Congratulations! I well understand the uncertainty factor. And, the sheer relief of knowing! (Great also that Europe gets to keep a great family for a few more years!) x

2 farrah January 30, 2014 at 7:54 am

Oh thanks Vanessa! We’re really happy. There’s so much that can be unknown- I can be patient (I think) waiting on our landlord :)

3 Mrs. Chasing the Donkey January 30, 2014 at 8:04 am

YEEEOOEEEWWWWWW how exciting, it’s like a late (or very early) Xmas pressie. Ohh this means you’ll be able to come and stay at my house when it’s finished… Now this should get Mr. CtD to agree to a pool. I mean 4 boys need a pool… right? Ohhh this has made my day :)

4 farrah January 30, 2014 at 8:24 am

My heart would have broken had we not made it to Croatia- and you are at the top of the list! I’m actually dying to introduce you to these maniac children of mine. You will see into the future!

5 Marloes January 30, 2014 at 8:11 am

Yay!! Awesome news Farrah! Congratulations!!!!

6 farrah January 30, 2014 at 8:24 am

Thanks! Now’s here’s hoping we can get together for that coffee at SOME POINT!

7 Marloes January 30, 2014 at 9:25 am

I really really hope so! Every time we’re back in holland we’ve crazy schedule, but we now have until 2017!!!!

8 Jessica January 30, 2014 at 8:14 am

Exciting! Congrats! Glad you’ll have some more stability for a few more years!!

9 farrah January 30, 2014 at 8:25 am

Thanks Jessica- I feel the same way. You know how wanderlusters go too- after a few years of stability they’re ready to move on anyhow :)

10 Ann January 30, 2014 at 8:42 am

This is really the best news I’ve heard. I was getting slight anxiety attacks thinking of you leaving – which I was I refused to believe that would actually happen. YAY!

11 farrah January 30, 2014 at 2:53 pm

See? There you go- positive thinking wins! The possibilities are endless at this point for us!

12 Clare January 30, 2014 at 9:27 am

What wonderful news! And so what if you do have to move house? Minor bumps like you say – they iron themselves out!

13 farrah January 30, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Thanks Clare! And yes- all things that can be figured out. I would have been nervous if this was all perfectly too good to be true and easy!

14 jenny@atasteoftravel January 30, 2014 at 9:36 am

Fabulous news for you Farrah. Now you can do all the travelling you want to do!

15 farrah January 30, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Thanks Jenny! If we can conquer Europe we’re taking on Australia next :)

16 Gayla January 30, 2014 at 9:45 am

Congratulations! Wonderful news. I wish you many many happy and successful travels around Europe in the coming years. And, best of luck with the Dutch lessons. If I can help in any way, just ask. :-)

17 farrah January 30, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Thank you! And this summer, we really do need to plan to get together!

18 Crystal January 30, 2014 at 11:05 am

Congrats it’s so exciting to know the adventure lives on. We will be here 3-5 years and the thing that gets me every time is how old the kids will be if and when we decide to move back to the US after this assignment. Cheers.

19 farrah January 30, 2014 at 2:58 pm

That’s the first thing I thought of, and it really does make me sort of freak out. Time when you have kids seems to fly! And you know exactly what a mean :)

20 Jennifer F. - American Mim in Bordeaux January 30, 2014 at 11:43 am

What awesome news! Congrats! Who knows maybe one day we can officially meet!

21 farrah January 30, 2014 at 2:59 pm

That would be lovely. I think it would be really fun to do a blogger meet up like they’ve done in the London area- there’s so many of us in the Germany/France/NL region- it would be great.

22 Andrea January 30, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Huge congrats!

23 farrah January 30, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Thanks Andrea!

24 Theresa January 30, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Congrats! How awesome that you guys no longer have to rush and cram it all in! May be you can go back bad rent that huge house you viewed :p

I too vote for meeting up in the coming 3 years ;-) at this rate you’ll probably be here longer than us.

25 farrah January 30, 2014 at 3:01 pm

hahhaha- oh my gosh I totally forgot about that house- how tempting would that be? But then we’d have to leave the school I adore and that would be hard. And our belongings would never fill it up. But that backyard- wow was it incredible!

And yes- I’ll make it a priority to meet up while here!

26 Kiley January 30, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Yeahhhhhhh! So happy for you Farrah!!!!!!!

27 farrah January 30, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Thanks Kiley!!! Still waiting for you to come visit :)

28 Kristen January 30, 2014 at 1:40 pm

So excited for all of you! After just getting back from Canada with Ashley and her French class, I think it is great the boys have this time! Speaking a second language comes so much easier when you start them earlier. And all of these experiences for all of you…a dream come true! Can’t wait to continue living vicariously through you!! xoxo

29 farrah January 30, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Thank you my friend. I am starting to think long and hard about how I have memories from being 5, 6 etc- and my hope is that Brody will remember his early days in school here. I have so much hope for their future.

30 Mel @ Outnumbered 3 to 1 January 30, 2014 at 2:11 pm

That is awesome! What a great opportunity for your boys – and really, you’re family as a whole! You’re not missing anything but political drama here in the states! I personally would jump at an opportunity to move abroad!

31 farrah January 30, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Hahah! You know what- one of the first thoughts I had was that there would be a new president by the time we come back. Maybe I will feel like an alien?

32 Stephanie January 30, 2014 at 2:14 pm

I had a feeling you’d be staying there based on our last conversation. Cheers! You’re right where you’re supposed to be. Of course, we’ll miss you, and send you more wreaths, and be respectfully envious of all your European adventures, but we’re cheering you on! My next prediction? You won’t want to come back at all.

33 farrah January 30, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Yay! Thank you. We’re excited. And hoping to have some real estate drama for you when we figure out what’s going on. Or not lol.

34 Deanna January 30, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Yay! Congratulations and that’s such great news! I loved following your pictures of your trip via Instagram. :-)

Btw, make sure to check out my new linkup Monday where the weekly winners have their post featured on my blog!

35 farrah January 30, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Thanks Deanna- and sounds great! Mondays are good days for me to link up- I usually have my act together. Usually :)

36 Tami @Colorado Mountain Mom January 30, 2014 at 4:15 pm

WOOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!! That is seriously awesome, Farrah!! So happy for you. Oh, the places you’ll go!

And on a selfish note, I’m pretty excited for myself to have 3 more years of reading your Europe-based ex-pat blog. Yaaay me! HA ;)

37 farrah February 2, 2014 at 7:10 am

Thanks Tami! You know CO is my top #1 destination when we come back. You think my husband’s company would open an office there just for me?? :)

38 Katie E January 30, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Congratulations, Farrah!Finally having a long term plan – and one that you wanted – after the uncertainty must feel awesome. And so cool for your family to be able to spend all that time in Europe and relax and enjoy the experience a bit more. Plus bilingual kiddos – impressive!

39 farrah February 2, 2014 at 7:12 am

Thanks Katie :) And yes, knowing is HUGE. But, relax? Uh, you know my kids! That is impossible :)

40 Christie January 30, 2014 at 6:17 pm

How exciting! I’m so happy for your family! Brava!

41 farrah February 2, 2014 at 7:13 am

Thanks Christie! Looks like they’re not going to kick me out of the country just yet :)

42 Leighann January 30, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Wonderful news! So happy to hear you’re staying where you had hoped!

43 farrah February 2, 2014 at 7:13 am

Thank you my friend!

44 Leigh Ann January 30, 2014 at 10:19 pm

Great news!

45 farrah February 2, 2014 at 7:14 am

Thanks Leigh Ann!

46 CK January 30, 2014 at 10:23 pm

That’s exciting news!! Now you can relax and take it all in!! Both my husband’s company and my company offered us extensions while we were in the EU, but (always a but) we had to become locals. Basically be paid as a local employee in local dollars and no longer classified as an ‘expat’, which made it an international tax nightmare (as we had property back in North America). So sadly, we moved back once the original placement ended! :(

47 farrah February 2, 2014 at 7:15 am

Oh yikes, yeah that wouldn’t go over so well. We still do get the expat title for our finances and taxes- plus, like you we too have a property back there and yeah. THAT would be a huge headache!

48 Ace January 31, 2014 at 11:54 am

!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats!!!! I’m so happy for you guys!!! I’m so glad you get to stay for everything that you want to do – and because it’ll continue to be easy for us to hang out ;)

Congratulations! =)

49 farrah February 2, 2014 at 7:16 am

High five!

50 Chamisa February 1, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Wow!! How exciting! It’s so nice to breathe that sigh of relief because you are staying put for a few years. Fingers crossed you’ll get your housing situations on both sides of the pond all sorted out.

51 farrah February 2, 2014 at 7:16 am

Yes! Thanks Chamisa. It’s nice to know for sure. And we like it here so much- maybe we’ll be ready for another adventure by the time it’s all up :)

52 Laurel- Capturing la Vita February 1, 2014 at 4:04 pm

So happy for your family! Yippie!

53 farrah February 2, 2014 at 7:17 am

Thank you Laurel :) I hope you have more suggestions for me on where to go and what to see. So glad I have some more time!

54 Amy February 4, 2014 at 7:29 am

SO awesome for you and the many adventures that lie ahead. Congrats!!