When In Rome, Travel Baby Rentals Saves the Day!

by farrah on January 27, 2014 · 12 comments

Travel Baby, Rome

I have to admit that I really don’t even know where to begin with our family trip last week in Rome. I am the first person to say that travel with littles is NOT a fairytale by any stretch of the imagination- but with a little extra planning and just knowing your kids- anyone can do a trip like we did and not lose their mind. For us, the biggest win was with Travel Baby rentals in Rome, and they saved the trip.

Travel Baby double stroller rentalEating on the go in our Twin-Two double stroller rental

All of this would not have even remotely been possible, however- without the sheer luck finding Travel Baby. Travel Baby is the husband and wife team of Marco and Daniela. Two of the friendliest people that I have some across and set the tone for our reception in Italy. Before we left a few people told me ‘Ah, you don’t need a stroller! You’ll be fine!‘ but that couldn’t have been farther from the truth. Sure, the twins are three- but spending 7-9 hours a day on foot discovering a huge city over three solid days proved that a stroller is an absolute necessity. Additionally, I’d like to loan my children out to those people and say ‘Here- YOU go to Rome without a stroller and let me know how that works out for you.’ I’ll just wait over here at a cafe.

Travel Baby double stroller rentalA much needed nap!

Why rent?

Our double stroller from home exceeded the weight limit for our airline, and we were stuck. I was a little intimidated at the thought of herding the boys through the airport, but that was easy! With 5 carry on bags and one checked bag- there’s no way I would have wanted to throw a stroller into that mix. Renting one at our destination was the perfect way to go. After a little bit of searching, I found Travel Baby rentals and knew that we could do it.

The Stroller

Marco brought us a brand new Jane ‘Twin Two’ double stroller for use in the city. I’m not familiar with this brand, but it was great. A front-to-back double ride for the guys also had storage underneath, a rain cover should we need it- AND it was actually light enough for us to lug up and down all of the stairs to the Metro.

Travel Baby double stroller rentalFitting onto the metro was a breeze with a front to back double.

We were able to navigate the cobbled streets, narrow sidewalks, and even the twisty and curvy passageway inside the Vatican to see the Sistine Chapel. The boys were able to eat and sleep on the go (which we really really needed). There was no way we were going to lose half a day by going back to our apartment every day to give them a snooze. These boys are actually kind of famous for sleeping in front of world landmarks- so this stroller with its generous sunshades and reclining seats even allowed my almost 5-year-old to catch some zzz’s when he just couldn’t keep up any longer.

Travel Baby double stroller rentalOne of Linc’s many naps, this in front of the Spanish Steps

So what else does Travel Baby have to offer you while in Rome?

Most all of their items are priced in the affordable range of €30 and up- pick up and delivery in Rome- free inside the GRA area.

Car seats (infant, boosters, standard)

Travel Cots (bedding too)

Strollers (single, double, prams, add-on kick boards)

High Chairs (portable, free-standing, and booster seats)

Carriers (front and back)

and ta-Dah!: BABYSITTING TOO!

Travel Baby double stroller rentalAt the Vatican, they let us ride the wheelchair lift!

Tips:

• They offer a 10% discount to all Roma Pass holders (which I will explain later is something you MUST GET).
  • They will drop off and pick up your rentals from your hotel, B&B, etc! Can’t ask for more.

Connect:

Travel Baby double stroller rentalWe were even able to explore the Colosseum! Linc practicing as emperor.

Contact:

You can contact Marco and Daniela here with this form, or call and email them directly at info@travelbaby.it.

Disclosure: A sincere thank you to Travel Baby for allowing us to test out their new stroller for the purpose of this review. As always, all words, thoughts and opinions are my own.

facebooktwitterpinterestmailby feather

1 Ace January 27, 2014 at 9:41 am

I’m so glad you found a good option for the stroller! It’s such a better option than carrying them everywhere, and a really cool sounding service.

2 farrah January 27, 2014 at 11:24 am

I know it- we couldn’t have asked for more. In fact, it wwas better than our side by side since things are so narrow. And I LOVE small mom & pop businesses. I hope they continue to do well!

3 Ann January 27, 2014 at 11:09 am

Awesome! I don’t even want to think about what you would’ve had to go through if you had to deal with Rome without a stroller.

4 farrah January 27, 2014 at 11:24 am

Nor do I Ann, nor do I. I think I would have rather fought lions or gladiators.

5 Chamisa January 27, 2014 at 8:48 pm

No way you could’ve done so much in Rome without a stroller. How was that one on the cobblestones?

6 farrah January 28, 2014 at 7:44 am

It did really well, actually! I’ll be honest, I wasn’t expecting a clean, new, easy to push stroller. I was expecting something bulky and a bit cumbersome. This was none of those things and we did great.

7 MissNeriss January 29, 2014 at 9:24 am

Babysitting? Oh, if only we had known a few months ago. Our trip in November to Rome was miserable. Just miserable. So much so that I considered cancelling our upcoming trip to Alicante because I don’t know if I can take yet another miserable city trip with my daughter. We were stuck in our hotel room from 5pm every day (she was wiped out) and we couldn’t go out to eat because each time we tried it was just one meltdown after another. I don’t even really remember the city to be honest. Well, I remember the hordes of umbrella/pashmina sellers.

The next trip we’ve at least booked an apartment with a separate bedroom and a microwave. God I hope that’ll save me. I wonder if there’s something similar to Travel Baby in Alicante…?

8 Mrs. Chasing the Donkey January 30, 2014 at 8:09 am

I want that stroller for me – I am sure Mr. CtD could push me in that… So glad you had such a great experience there, being without one would have been wayyy to hard.

9 Talia April 9, 2015 at 6:17 am

Hi!

We will be traveling with 1 year old twins and a 3 year old, so we will have our stroller with us (cruise before Rome). My question is about the stairs going to the Sistine Chapel – from what I remember, they are fairly narrow. I know you had no problem going through them. Our stroller is a very narrow side-by-side, about the same length as a regular single stroller (64 cm). Do you think we would be able to go in with the stroller? Last time I was there was 14 years ago and children were the last thing on my mind :-) Thanks so much!!

10 farrah April 9, 2015 at 6:52 am

Hi Talia!

Hmm, let me think. We had that double front to back, and I don’t remember having any issues. In fact, we used this elevator thing to get it down some steps at the entry room to the chapel itself (next to the wide stairs). I don’t think you will have any issues, especially if it is just a single. No one gave us any problems at all! Have a great time :)

11 Talia April 9, 2015 at 7:44 am

Thanks! It’s a double, but it is not as wide – it shouldn’t be too much wider than the one you used. We are going in August, so I’m not sure if we should just forgo the stroller and take them in Ergos. THanks for your help.