Embracing Hair Gel & Other Dutch Doings

by farrah on April 23, 2014 · 15 comments

Over the long weekend here, Friday was a school holiday but not a work holiday. Everyone had Monday off for ‘Easter Monday’ and from what I gather it is a day of rest and relaxation. Twist my arm, right? We hung around the house after our marathon afternoon at Keukenhof Sunday. Yesterday we were back to the grind of school and swim lessons which makes for sleepy children even if it’s so sunny out at 8pm they think you’re crazy to put them to bed.

skyThe sky last night at 8:15pm. It was even brighter in real life.

Are you gellin’?

Saturday my husband took B to the center to get a haircut. He has the craziest hair- it grows so quickly and the curls give him a shaggy look that is very unlike what boys seem to sport. I remember when we first started school upon arriving- I could not get over all of the kids that wore hair gel. Boys as young as 2 or 3 wear it- their hair is shaped into spiky mohawks or a messy look. It’s very fashionable and I have to admit looks pretty good. Up until this point though- we’ve never done our hair that way until now.

Dutch boy hair gel

All you need to do is google ‘Dutch love of hair gel‘ and you’ll see what I mean (not kidding, just do it and see how many hits are there). B now sports the spiky/crunchy (and I do not mean granola-crunchy, I mean CRUNCHY) messy ‘do and loves it. I think it’s adorable and he fits right in. This morning I looked around and noticed that of the thirty some children in his class (half of them being boys) almost all of them share this look. He was so proud today to show it off!

We all bike

Additionally over the weekend another one of my children was bestowed a beloved bicycle. Linc has decided that he was done with pull-ups and that was his reward.

bi

Yesterday for the first time I rode my bike alongside my twins to school and felt it all surreal. They’re three! I couldn’t get over it- but here, it’s no big deal. Kids do it every day. C isn’t quite ready yet to give up his pull-ups, and I know to just let it be as he’ll decide when he’s ready and wants a bike of his own badly enough.

Dutch dress

I haven’t been as quick to embrace some of the fashion trends as the boys have. Sure I added the scarf soon enough, but the skinny pants/bootie shoes/tunic-y tops just didn’t feel like me in the beginning. Proud to say that after almost 2 years of living here I have taken it all on (except for the shoes. I can’t do those). The boys, on the other hand, love the skinny jean look, rolled bottoms and tight-fitting tops.

th

Additionally they love the Dutch penchant for fashionable footwear. The prices of these shoes make me swoon (many times I see €80 + euros for a pair!) as I don’t even spend that much on my own shoes- but lucky for us we do find some occasionally on sale. Funny how I think spending €30 is a ‘good deal’ for kid shoes. In the US, the Target ones still had me grudgingly adding them to the cart.

Even my husband has gotten on board. He purchased some fantastic brightly colored pants this past week and I give them my approving stamp as well.

a

Overall, I’d say we’re doing quite well. I haven’t made much progress in my Dutch language learning as of yet, but I still have it in my sights to get serious. Eventually.

1 Julia April 23, 2014 at 11:39 am

That’s awesome that he decided that he is done with pull-ups! I love the spiky hair look, our hairdresser usually spikes Jacks when he gets it cut but I can’t seem to keep it up. I love the dutch fashion looks the boys look great!

2 farrah April 23, 2014 at 2:01 pm

In typical Linc fashion- (he did the same thing with a paci) and was just like- Ok. I’m 25 now. and that was that.

C on the other hand, just told me he would be ready on Tuesday. Which I find interesting.

3 Leighann April 23, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Everyone looks so fashionable! Loving the outfits and the hair!

4 farrah April 23, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Thanks Leighann! They’re much more stylish than me!

5 Ellen April 23, 2014 at 2:12 pm

They all look great! Shoe and sportshop “Scapino” has the brand Dr. Visser childrenshoes. (relatively)cheap and good.
groetjes, Ellen

6 farrah April 24, 2014 at 6:23 am

Thanks Ellen- I’m going to look for those!

7 Caitlyn April 23, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Your kids look so Dutch! I really had to laugh about the hair gel… my boyfriend has a big pot of icky yellow stuff that he lathers through his hair every morning. He is PROUD of the fact that this cost him 0.53 at the Etos.

8 farrah April 24, 2014 at 6:23 am

Hahahah! Of course he is! I really did laugh as I googled my suggestion yesterday- and now I am picturing your boyfriend in the photo of the blonde soccer star.

9 Andrea, Passports And Pushchairs April 24, 2014 at 2:26 am

Those pictures of them are seriously so cute!

10 farrah April 24, 2014 at 6:24 am

Thanks Andrea 🙂

11 Ann April 24, 2014 at 9:14 am

W is so scraggly (well, his hair) and when his dad gets back they’re going in for a haircut. I’ve done hair gel once or twice, and once he came back from preschool and one of his teachers had put some in his hair. It is so cute and so foreign to me at the same time.

Love the pics. B is one stylish boy.

12 Ann April 24, 2014 at 9:16 am

Also – I haven’t embraced German fashion for myself much. It’s hard because I’m from Florida so even having cold-weather clothes is foreign to me. I’ve only recently started buying clothes here, I just find it so expensive and for the same price I can get clothes I really like in the US. But, I do like the shoes here a lot. My husband, on the other hand, prefers local fashion for work clothes, casual clothes, shoes, and jackets. Really the only clothes he still prefers from the US are undergarments.

13 SJ @ Chasing the Donkey April 24, 2014 at 8:22 pm

Hooray for two down, one to go! I am digging the hair gel – although I do worry about your shopping bill…

14 Ilja DeYoung April 25, 2014 at 7:17 am

Your family looks very fashionable. Never realised the hair gel thing was cultural 😉 And so we learn ….