Horrible Things I Can’t Wait To Eat

by farrah on July 16, 2014 · 25 comments

The other night I used one of my precious cans of Campbell’s soup to make a chicken recipe. It was broccoli cheese soup and I made ‘chicken divan’ from the back of the label. I didn’t add any salt, nor use the ‘suggested’ cheddar cheese because (ironically) here in the land of cheese cheddar is somewhat of an abomination. Anyhow- the dinner was delicious- albeit the saltiest thing we’ve eaten in ages. We all felt rather gross after dinner, and that got us talking about the horrible foods back home I can’t wait to eat in a few weeks.

Big BoyThis guy and I have a date.

We aren’t super healthy eaters. We don’t eat out hardly ever and there’s a very, very rare opportunity to have fast food since they aren’t on every corner like mailboxes. It’s just not convenient. Imagine that- take away the convenience factor and people stop eating fast food. We eat normal stuff: chicken, meat, bread, fruits and vegetables. I think the big difference is that nothing is processed and there aren’t a gazillion additives. As a food lover it’s ok. I mean, it’s not like we’re in Germany or anything (ahem, sauerkraut!) where I’d eat until I popped. I love ya, Netherlands but um, your constant fresh ingredients and lack of preservatives is a little bland.

Ok, so for the first time in almost 2 years I am going to be in the US soon. I fly in on a Friday and back out on a Monday night- so in that time I need to hit all of my guilty faves (and I do mean GUILTY) as well as see my family and attend the reunion. Since I glean a tremendous amount of pleasure from food- I thought I’d list out all of the things I want to indulge in over the weekend.

Greasy spoon breakfast

They just don’t have greasy spoon restaurants here. I miss going out for a fat Greek omelette, lots of crispy bacon and a huge cup of orange juice. Who doesn’t love being stuffed to the gills during their morning meal? Thankfully there’s Leo’s Coney Island in Brighton.

Fast food

Wendy’s Jr. hamburger with everything. Look, I said this is a list of horrible food. I’m not looking to impress anyone. I’d actually love a Five Guys burger too, but I don’t think they’re in Michigan where I’m going. I’ll have to wait until November for one of those in SC.

Taco Bell tacos. I know. Just, I know.

Firehouse Subs Italian. I would drive out of my way just to get my hands on one of these. I used to be a Jimmy John’s girl, but once Firehouse came along I traded up for the firemen. I love this sub so much that whenever I go I am tempted to try something else- but I can’t. I LOVE the Italian too much to stray.

Olga’s: Cheese Snackers and their version of a gyro. Swiss almond cheese? YES.

Take out/ sort of sit down

10557191_10204696392474689_1498953089879127277_nMy friend’s adorable kiddo taunting me with a Gus’s legendary breadstick.

Gus’s Carry Out. My sister has promised me that we will be having this for dinner my first night. Their ribs are my all time favorite- as well as their insane Greek salad and the BREADSTICKS. Oh these are all so bad but they taste SO GOOD. This is my hometown restaurant if there every was one. I grew up loving Gus’s. Additionally I went to high school with a girl whose family ran the business. I like that.

Mr. Kabob Sunoco Gas Station, Berkley. I don’t think I will make it this trip- but in November when I head up to Berkley and pay my favorite landlady a visit I WILL be stopping here. Sure you might give gas station food the side-eye (I do) but NOT this stuff. Mr. Kabob is the BEST. I lived on their tabbouleh and gyros from 2002-2006.

*And the #1 stop I am making en route from the airport to my sister’s house: Big Boy’s Slim Jim sandwich dipped in their garlic and oil dressing. Sure it has ‘special sauce’, but I HAVE to dip it in this salad dressing.  I mean, I am in love with this sandwich. They didn’t have Big Boy in South Carolina, so whenever we went up north we made a stop. Sometimes I would eat it every day while there. Man, I love this thing. El Grande Chico is my man.

So what’s your favorite hometown food? If you moved away from the US (or wherever ‘home’ is) what would you miss most? And it has to be ‘horrible’.

photo by:

1 Ace July 16, 2014 at 10:30 am

Oh Lord, am I jealous. I really miss chicken finger subs with mayo, lettuce, and tomato. And Chipotle burritos. And endless pasta bowl at Olive Garden. And Chicago pizza. Excuse me while I go wipe my mouth. :)

2 farrah July 16, 2014 at 1:39 pm

I did think of the Olive Garden soup and salad. I mean, that sounds healthy, right? HA HA! Think again. But yeah- sooooo good!

3 Kristen July 16, 2014 at 10:47 am

And now, I want Olga’s breadsticks at 6:44AM! They are the BEST! Chris loves any of the Koney Islands. Enjoy just bring some Pepto. Your stomach isn’t going to know what to do with itself!

4 farrah July 16, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Oh man, I didn’t think about that. You’re probably right!!!

5 Paige Conner Totaro July 16, 2014 at 11:18 am

I just came across the list I made while traveling for 11 months of all the stuff we couldn’t wait to eat. At the top of my list was real Mexican food. I just didn’t trust it anywhere outside of North America. I couldn’t wait for the thin crispy fresh fried tortilla chips and the watery fresh salsa…. Now I’m getting hungry.

6 farrah July 16, 2014 at 1:40 pm

You are so right with this. I once wen to a Mexican restaurant nearby and asked them to make the boys a quesadilla. They didn’t know what I was talking about.

WHAT!

7 Julia July 16, 2014 at 12:08 pm

I have so many favorite home town foods. Hot dogs from Lou Dogs where I had my first job. Corn Fritters from the seafood place near our first home. Cupcakes from Chocolate Face near my moms, which I currently am about to devour. Enjoy all your eats!

8 farrah July 16, 2014 at 1:41 pm

You enjoy those cupcakes!!!!! And thank you, I am sure I will :)

9 Staci July 16, 2014 at 12:26 pm

I am happy to announce that we do have Five Guys in Michigan, Novi, Ann Arbor and I think Fenton to name a few locations and a Fire House Sub conveniently located in Brighton.

10 farrah July 16, 2014 at 1:42 pm

oh no. Well I think I might need to save that for November. I can’t imagine eating everything in the weekend. Can you imagine?!

11 Elizabeth July 16, 2014 at 12:27 pm

I am interested to see if you enjoy these foods on the same level! I loved Pepsi and Coke before we moved and was so disappointed that they tasted so different in Germany. In addition, Strossner’s was my all-time favorite in Greenville and I have been lamenting the lack of butter cream frosting in Germany for two years. But, I do not enjoy any of those things here any more! They taste completely different than how I remember them. Maybe my taste buds went through detox? I don’t know, but I can’t wait to hear if you experience the same thing.

12 farrah July 16, 2014 at 1:43 pm

I thought that about Coke. Coke is made with sugar here and at first I thought it was too much, but now I like it.

I didn’t even think about this Elizabeth! I’ll be sure to report back and hopefully have pictures lol.

13 Jen July 16, 2014 at 12:32 pm

My husband still wants a frikandel and it’s been 7.5 years! I miss kaas soufflés, which I would eat with ketchup for lunch at work. I finally found a place to buy my favorite Dutch chocolate, yay!

The two things I miss from Chicago are Qdoba and Roti, Qdoba is a national chain that just isn’t in Houston, Roti is a Chicago chain which has expanded some but not here yet :( Oh, and Portillos. My local grocery store actually ships in frozen Gino’s East pizza and sells it for a much more reasonable price than buying it directly which is great.

14 farrah July 16, 2014 at 1:44 pm

I am going to look into those kanas soufflés because they sound awesome!

15 farrah July 17, 2014 at 6:11 am

I mean ‘kaas’ as clearly that’s cheese :)

16 Agata July 16, 2014 at 7:50 pm

You made me hungry! Ok, I am always hungry and you can wake me up if there is food, but reading about food is my second favorite thing after eating LOL :-) Enjoy your trip!!! x

17 farrah July 17, 2014 at 6:12 am

:) Thanks Agata! I’m excited. And fully expecting to return a few pounds heavier, and not in my luggage.

18 Cheril von Barsewisch July 16, 2014 at 10:02 pm

I am originally from Texas….so it’s tex mex all the way. Chips and salsa and anything from tex mex restaurants including frozen straberry margaritas! Add the tall all-you-can drink ice tea with glasses the size of Texas filled with ice cubes. Ahhh…maybe next year we’ll swing a trip to get my fix. Thank goodness for the Holy Taco Shack that Chamisa discovered in FR. Do you think we will have any luck finding something like this in Enschede!?!

19 farrah July 17, 2014 at 6:14 am

Cheril, the great thing about the NL is that it is SO SO SO wonderful for many reasons.

However.

Food is not one of them. And sadly, I would have to say that their version of tex mex does not exist. I would eat breakfast, lunch and dinner tex-mex style daily until you leave because you will never find anything even remotely close here. I know. It makes me sad too!

20 Chamisa July 17, 2014 at 10:15 am

I did the same thing (fly in Friday, out Monday) a few years ago for a friend’s wedding and I also stuffed my face at every meal with awful, awful American food that was soooo good :). I don’t have as many favorite restaurants as you do, but I have loads of favorite snack foods. Whatever I couldn’t physically eat went with me in the suitcase home. I maxed out that 50lbs :)

21 Leighann July 17, 2014 at 2:50 pm

mmmmmm suddenly I’m hungry!
Can’t wait to hear about your trip back.

22 Amy July 18, 2014 at 5:28 am

Looks like you’ll be busy. In case the food at your reunion is meh, you should bring along some fast food in your purse so you don’t waste a meal on a drab piece of chicken.

23 Corinne July 19, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Farrah, We’re just leaving the States today after a few weeks of ridiculous indulgence. I can’t say we tried all the ones on your list, but we hit quite a few. I had a little culture shock over how many drive-throughs there are! Have fun!

24 Heather July 26, 2014 at 11:46 pm

Five Guys invaded Michigan maybe five years ago:

Firehouse Subs was the same:

…and I’m embarrassed to admit that I have never had Mr. Kabob, even though we’ve been in Berkley for almost 12 years and love Lebanese food. I seriously need to go there, and you are not the first person who has raved about it.