Don’t Eat the Seeds: Athens Here I Come

by farrah on October 22, 2014 · 13 comments

Way back when I was little, I fell in love with Greek mythology. So much so that it cultivated a love of all of my English classes throughout my educational career. Eventually I did indeed succeed in becoming a high school English teacher and started off each new school year (or semester) with my unit on Greek mythology via mostly Edith Hamilton. So today as I am heading to Athens, quite frankly, I am about to burst with excitement.

Greece-0120 -  Caryatids

I don’t know why I am so drawn to Greek mythology. But then again, I don’t know how some people just aren’t. My husband is one of them. He zones out when I inform him how this story or that is really a version of a Greek myth- I mean, how is that not interesting??! Probably the same as me thinking spreadsheets and the Detroit Lions are not the most intriguing things to look at either.

I have so many favorites- I can’t just choose one. Pyramus and Thisbe is up there- as are the stories of Perseus and Hercules. I LOVED the Harry Hamlin version of Clash of the Titans and happily showed it to my students- who promptly laughed hysterically at the ‘special effects’ of the early 1980s. I always wondered what the world would be like if Pandora never opened that box, or ifย Orpheus didn’t look back- would he have Eurydice? And poor Persephone. I avoid pomegranates due to the seeds. True story.

So I’m about to hop on a plane and head to Athens in a few short hours. I’ll miss my kids- but for real this is like a dream come true. I’ll be blowing up your Instagram feed, so apologies in advance! (you can always follow along @momofthreeunder if you’re inclined!).

Success to my husband! Poor man. When I bought my tickets I didn’t know it was over fall vacation.

1 Ellen October 22, 2014 at 9:30 am

Have a great time! Groeten, Ellen

2 farrah October 27, 2014 at 8:47 am

Thanks Ellen! It was AWESOME! Already wanting to go back ๐Ÿ™‚

3 Leighann October 22, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Have a great time!! It’s going to be amazing.

4 farrah October 27, 2014 at 8:47 am

Thank you my friend! It was. But my pants no longer fit ๐Ÿ™‚

5 Gayla October 22, 2014 at 1:44 pm

I’m so very jealous. I love Greek mythology, though not quite to the depths your passion ๐Ÿ˜‰ and I’ve dreamed of visiting Greece since I was a kid. My Aunt even gifted me with travel books for the Greek Islands when I was young. One day, I’ll get there, but in the meantime, I shall live vicariously through your photos and blog posts!! Have fun and drink plenty of ouzo. LOL!

6 farrah October 27, 2014 at 8:48 am

GAYLA! You should have been there. I want to go back, so we need to work on it. It was so great- and I was blown away by the hospitality of Athens. From the cabbies to the restaurants. I was like- is this real life???

7 Karla October 22, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Herbert would be very jealous. Wasn’t that his name? Do you remember that kid in your freshman English class who would argue with you about Greek Mythology?

8 farrah October 27, 2014 at 8:48 am

You KNOW I thought of him on so many occasions. I wish I could find him on Facebook and tell him! Herbie something!

9 SJ @ Chasing the Donkey October 22, 2014 at 5:02 pm

I am here and waiting!!! Does this mean I can count on you to be my free tour guide?

10 farrah October 27, 2014 at 8:49 am

xoxoxoxo
You and Ann made the trip even better than just the city itself. I could not have had a better time with you two.

11 CK October 22, 2014 at 11:57 pm

Haha – my husband, like you, has a hard time understanding that I know nothing about Greek mythology. But show me an outstanding spreadsheet and we’re talking! ๐Ÿ™‚

12 farrah October 27, 2014 at 8:50 am

Man, I need to talk to your husband! I actually got my old copy of Edith’s out and was reading it again ๐Ÿ™‚